mum died 2 years ago but is only having affect now

2 years ago, my mum died of cancer whilst we were on holiday in florida. It never really affected me that bad after the first few days, it was as if i got over it really quickly but now, 2 years on, ive just started breaking down at random points and crying and stuff. idk if its because im stressed about school because my gcses are this year and i have lots of coursework to catch up on but its just weird and horrible. idk what i should to tbh.

• Hi Matt,

Thanks for sharing your feelings with us. You are not alone for in the nearly five years I've been on this forum, there have been quite a number od people, both young and old, who have found they miss their loved ones more after a couple of years. I'm not sure of the reasons why and it could be due to any number of things including periods of stress. We humans are complex creatures and we have no control over our feelings or emotions.

I lost my mother over ten years ago and I still miss her. Sometimes I see her favorite flowers or hear a song she particulary liked and it makes me feel quite emotional even now and I am much older than you. Lets face it, losing a loved one leaves a big hole in our lives and as a rsult. life will never be the same again. As I am a lot futher down the line from you Matt, I can tell you we never really do get over losing a loved one but we do learn to adjust to a new way of life.

I will end by saying, do the best you can with your exams and make your mother proud of you. Thanks for sharing your story with us, take care, Brian.