Mum diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer with spread

My mum got diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer on Sunday. She's in a different country to me as she went back in January. They operated and removed the cancer on Monday morning. They reattached her colon. Just waiting for pathology results now. But it has spread to the peritoneum. She will be 58 this year and I’m 36, my brother is 37 and my younger brother and sister is 28 and 29. My nephew is 5 and my girl is 3.5. Anyway, we have been looking into the HIPEC treatment and was wondering if anyone know how easy it is to be referred for that and how much longer her life expectancy can be prolonged by. We are willing to pay for the HIPEC privately if the NHS wouldn’t allow her to have it. Anyone also know how effective it is and what are the remission rates after the treatment?

• Hello tigger156, thanks for posting.

I am sorry to hear about your mum's recent diagnosis, it must be a difficult time for you all especially living so far away.

I can understand you wishing the best for your mum and for her to have the best treatment possible. I don't want to put you off exploring treatment options however I think it is worth waiting for the pathology test results first to find out what treatment/s are offered by her cancer doctors. Then your mum could also ask about HIPEC and if this could be possible in her situation, and if this procedure is available where she lives.

You can read more about bowel cancer here on our web site.

The HIPEC ( Hyperthermic IntraPEeritoneal Chemotherapy) procedure also involves an extreme operation known as cyto reductive surgery to remove the cancer. This is followed by the heated chemotherapy being inserted into the abdomen for about 90 minutes, and then it is then drained out so it is a very long procedure. It can be used for bowel cancer patients with peritoneal spread. This treatment is extreme, with the patient staying in hospital for a good few weeks post surgery, and does unfortunately comes with some risks. HIPEC isn't used on it's own, only combined with the cyto reductive surgery.

You can read the NICE ( National Institute for health and Care Excellence) guidance for HIPEC here.  I am led to believe the main 2 hospitals in the UK that offer this treatment through the NHS include The Christie in Manchester and Basingstoke and North Hampshire hospital.  It is my understanding you have to be resident living in the UK to be eligible for NHS treatment. To be honest I think it is quite a tricky process to get NHS funding as it is applied for on an individual patient basis. I'm pretty sure HIPEC is available privately but I gather it is extremely expensive.

Research has shown benefits for some patients but not all, and may reduce the risk of recurrence. But I do not know if this approach will be an option for your mum so do ask her own medical team about it. 

I hope this helps, but if you feel talking to one of us nurses would be useful please do call us on 0808 800 4040, we are here Monday - Friday 9am - 5pm.

Take care,

Naomi 

• Hi Tigger156,

My husband was diagnosed with perforated bowl on 4th july 2019 he was then operated and 13 cm tumor was removed. Later in the biopsy result it was identified adenocarcinoma of small intestine. Since August 2019  till November 2019 he was under chemo folifil and folifox neither of this worked for him on 11 nov 2019 he has been discharged from NHS cancer hospital saying chemo is not helping him and referred to hospice. I cannot let him without any treatment hence wanted to go for HIPEC treatment. We are ready to go via private treatment.

The disease has spread to peritoneum hence is marked as stage 4. He had turned 40 this year. Just wanted to know how is your mother now and did HIPEC was helpful for her?

• Hi AjayK,

My mum was supposed to have HIPEC on 31st Dec but when they opened her up they said the tumours were too widespread so didn't remove anything and chemo is the only option left for her. She started chemo back in March and she's had two scans so far showing shrinkage.