MRI scan

I was wondering does the length of time they take in an MRI mean they've found something and need to take more photos? So if the radiologist is checking the brain and they find something would the scan take longer? And would results take longer to be given? 

My friend is an in patient. 

• Hi Zig.

I'm not a doctor, nor a radiographer! 

To the best of my limited knowledge, each MRI "scan" takes about 4 minutes, and takes an image of one slice through the body. There are different scan types (with fancy names like "T1 weighted" and "T2 weighted") which show up different tissue types. So you might have a T1 scan (4 minutes) then a T2 scan of the same slice (4 minutes), then the operator will select a new slice and perform more scans, and so on until the whole volume of interest has been covered. 

I believe that the protocols (positions and types of scan) are decided in advance, and the operator is more concerned with getting the best image quality possible, rather than interpreting what the images might show. So, I think that you're in the machine for same amount of time, whether or not there's anything interesting to see. 

• Hello Zig, 

I don't think the time in scan indicates anything. I had a head MRI and was told it would be about 20 minutes. It ended up taking forty minutes as the first lot of scans weren't as precise as they wanted, so they did another round. Results were normal. 

regards, gamechanger

• Nope - having a scan is like having a photograph taken.

The radiographer concentrates on making sure the picture is as clear as possible. Someone else (often a consultant radiologist) examines the scans to look for abnormalities. Any faffing around (not a technical term) is usually down to producing a clear set of pictures, especially if the patient moves whilst being scanned.

Cheers

Dave

• I can confirm the above posts, as a veteran of brain MRI scans in my case they have always lasted about the same amount of time, maybe a little longer if they use contrast, I have a glioma which is stable so in my case they are looking for subtle changes. The images are then reviewed by a consultant radiologist who then writes the report for your consultant. the radiographer who takes the images is looking for the clearest view but is not qualified to comment on anything found or not found on the images. Some of the more modern scanners can be quite speedy, and depending on the T weighting as Telemando says can adjust the time in the machine. It doesn't necessarily mean something is amiss. As soon as the report is written it is digitally sent to your consultant so if you feel the waiting time for results is too long then call the secretary to find out if an appointment is coming out to you..

Best wishes HM xx

• That answers a question for me, and I would like to ask another if I may.

i have a pelvic kidney Stage 3 CKD. Saw a nephrologist last week. He is hoping to remove the pelvic kidney because my other ‘good’ kidney is being affected. This is the first time I have ever been followed up after pylenephritis. I had the MRI scan last Saturday and on Tuesday received a letter marked urgent asking me to go for another scan this week. I rang the hospital and I was told the doctor who saw the scan needs more so that he can reach a conclusion and make a diagnosis. It isn’t a repeat of the first one in its entirety. The first one was 1hr. 40 mins. I have been told this one will last 20 mins. I have also had Renogram and Ultrasound scans. I’m really worried, I has breast cancer 2 years ago. Does anyone know why I could have been recalled? The MRI scan only supposed to look at the blood supply to my kidneys.Just a bit scared because the last time I was recalled after imaging I had breast cancer.

• Hi there

I have been recommended that I have a cervical spine MRI as I am having shoulder neck and arm problems, (which is probably degenerate) but as I have previously had BCCs they think it would be best to check by MRI.  As I am extremely claustrophobic and was unable to remain in a closed scanner even with diazepam prescribed by my GP., does anyone know where I can find out about hospitals with an open scanner and had any experience of this?

Kind regards A

• Hi Amelia, I assume that you have talked through your concerns with your consultant. Many hospital are part of a group trust and it could be that one of them has an open scanner. For example my local hospital has the traditional MRI but one of the group hospitals is a major traumor centre and has open scanners. I did look into upright MRI because of a problem with my spine that wasn't showing when lying down, unfortunately only available privately for me. I am very lucky in that i don't have any problems with the tunnel scanners however it ended up that I had to have a nuclear body scan as my MRI had shown bone marrow changes, this scan was done using a radioactive agent and then i was scanned through a donut and also plates that rotated around my body. I think you are going to need to chat to your consultant or registrar, they might be able to give you a stronger sedative.

wishing you all the luck and love

Sarah

• Thanks Sarah,

I will speak to me Consultant and hopefully will be able to have the MRI in an open scanner.  Thank you for taking the time to tell me your story and I appreciate the advice.

Kind regards

Love

Amelia

• Hi Amelia, please let us know how you get on, sometimes people don't realise that there might be other options available. I do know that there are stronger sedative available because i was sedated dor a procedure and the sedative didn't work so when they did the next one I was given something else.

Lots of love

Sarah

• Thanks Sarah, Will do, hope things turn out ok for you.

Love Amelia