Mole removal

Hi, so I went doctors on Tuesday after already attending the week before, I've been having problems with my chest and suffer with asthma, I was treated for a chest infection with antibiotics, they didn't work and been back which was Tuesday, I went about a few things one being my left lung and persistent cough for roughly about a year and the other thing a mole that has grown, different colours and changed shape, she referred me to a dermatologist and I had the appointment this Thursday gone, it turns out it is cancerous but early stages and have to have it removed, she has put it through as an emergency opp and will be early next week that I have it removed with it being in an awkward place on my foot a plastic surgeon has to do it. Anyway cut a long story short I'm worried because although it's early stages I'm concerned that it may of spread as I've been getting pain in my armpit, groin area and under my collar bone do you think it's likely to be cancer or am I being paranoid?? I'm only 28 and have my child that I can't help think the worst, the doctor has already confirmed my left lung isn't right and doesn't seen to think it's asthma as I'm already on steroids for and strong inhalers, (Ive had an emergency x Ray and waiting on results for my chest) my head is everywhere right now and I can't help but think I have cancer everywhere knowing it's in a mole in my foot already, she did say early stages so it surely couldn't have spread could it? I'm so sorry for the long message but I'm so worried. Thankyou in advance 

• Hi,

I know how worrying this is but please take comfort in her saying it's early stage. The lower the mole grows beneath the skin the higher the stage & the more chance it will spread. If it's early stage there is little chance it has spread. Also, melanoma that spreads to the lymph nodes in the armpit, groin or collar bone area are rarely painful. Any pain in those areas may be due to lymph nodes being inflamed due to infection rather than melanoma.

It's good that you are getting it removed quickly - they can then tell you what stage you are from the results - the stage will then decide what treatment you will have. If confirmed it's early stage you will just have regular check ups for a period of time.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on,

Angie (melanoma patient)