Missing my mum

Hi I lost my mum 6 weeks ago to metastatic Lung cancer, she was diagnosed 7th Sept and passed 26th Sept not giving us much time at all. She was 67. I find it hard to cry, I feel so angry with both her and the cancer, all she complained of was a back ache - what did we miss? I don't know how to help my Dad, he looks so lost they had been together for 50 years, married for 48. I am just a mixture of emotions and don't know which way to turn. Then yesterday my Uncle was admitted to hospital with a suspected heart attack and needs bypass surgery - his heart is weak. I feel like I have this big black cloud chasing me and can't see a way out of the dark. Will it get easier ? Thanks for listening x

• A warm welcome to our forum, TMC3103.

I'm so sorry to hear about your mum, on behalf of everyone here at Cancer Chat please accept our sincere condolences.

I'm sorry about your uncle, too, what an incredibly difficult time this must be for you and your family.

Hopefully our members will come along shortly to offer you advice and support but in the meantime, I thought I might share a page you have on our website on coping with grief and I hope this can help you a little.

Stay strong, TMC3103, and always remember we are here for you whenever you need a chat.

Best wishes,

Renata, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hi there ... well bless yards hearts... you needed a bit more time to get your head around the grief of loosing your mum so quickly ...but life seems to knock us down before we can stand ... a lot of people feel anger , at the thing that took them and the person who left you, when you needed them ... you couldn't have known from back ache , that she would go so soon ... you need to be kind to your self , and allow your self to feel all these emotions without feeling guilty ... 

If you can find the strength to hold your dad's hand and let him talk too.. and for you both to have a few tears together .... maybe later look at some photos and he may have a story or two you haven't heard ... I'm sure your mum wouldn't want you both to suffer so ... 

Your uncle may get through his surgery and come out the other end ... it seems like it's all crashing in on you cozy your looking at the whole picture and it seems overwhelming... if you could brake it down and think of one thing at a time ... process it ... and try to take care of you kind heart first and forgive yourself for being normal, like lots of us have to do at some point.... 

If you get the chance of councilling  , give it a try ...ask mcmillan for advice on bereavement counselling..but just want to send you a big hug ... chrisie xx

• Hi .. sending my condolences to you on the loss of your mum x I’m soo sorry you’re having to go through this, I know exactly what you’re going through as I was in the same position last year with my mum, my mum had a cough and was being treated for a chest infection for 6 weeks  , and then was diagnosed with lung cancer, mum deteriorated very quickly 7 weeks and she was gone , 1 year on and it’s still a shock, all you can do is take one day at a time and be there for your dad , be there for each other , in time you will laugh about the good times you had with your mum , and yes you will feel guilty about laughing but it will get that bit easier, the pain never leaves, I still go to try and phone my mum at times and have only just packed all her clothes up , I can’t part with them yet I’ve placed them in my cupboard big just don’t feel ready to let go yet .. in time I know il have to because I know she’s not coming back but right now I can’t, my mum was my best friend we did everything together, everyone used to say no show without punch lol , I miss her like crazy and you will always miss your mum too but you will always remember the good times and the pain will ease in Time memories never die , look out all your pictures videos etc... they’re great to look back on and do bring a smile to my face .. you’re both in my thoughts ️X