Metastatic Breast Cancer

Evening,

I’ve come her to talk about and hopefully become more informed regarding Metastatic Breast Cancer - I’m 21 years old and a proud dad to a beautiful little girl who was born in November 2016, sadly just after Christmas of that year my mum discovered some lumps and was then subsequently diagnosed with breast cancer. In the early part of 2017 she had a mastectomy of the left breast/removal of the lymph nodes. 

It was also discovered that she had secondary cancer which was located in her spine at the time, as I’m already aware this can’t be cured or removed and the only option is treatment. She was prescribed various medication for pain/treatment: Codeine, Naproxen, Letrozole & was receiving Zoledronic Acid injections at the hospital - everything looked positive and the secondary cancer hadn’t grown/spread for the best part of a year until approx 2 months ago when her latest hospital check up results revealed that it had started to spread into one of her shoulders & arm. 

My mum being her typical strong self played it down and told us all that it was still ok as it hadn’t spread to any vital organs - I’m not stupid however and am realistic about the fact that eventually the cancer will find its way there.

After this discovery she was put onto Oral Chemo treatment for a period of time and has had a few check ups recently, today she had an appointment at the Hospital Cancer Centre & was told she will now remain on chemo for good and will have a scan next month to see what it’s doing/if anything...

I know it’s hard to say but what does this mean? My mum is quite open about everything but I’m intelligent enough to know that she can play down the seriousness of it all at times for the benefit of everyone around her. Does this mean that it’s getting near to the end and that the chemo is now just to improve her quality/length of life?

C x

• Hi. I'm not an expert on any of this. I lost my mom in May. She had metatastic lung cancer and COPD and had also had breast cancer the year before. The lung cancer had spread to her her other breast (not the one where the first cancer was) and to her leg. They first saw the spot on her lung in October or November. In February we were told that they couldn't treat her cancer due to her overall health (condition similar to MS, using a walker, being 79 years old, advanced COPD). 

Any kind of treatment where there is no cure is to make the patient feel better and to prolong life. You can ask her oncologist specific questions, how long etc. if you think it will make you feel better. My mom was also excellent at downplaying everything and also at denial! She accepted her diagnosis in February, though we never talked about it again. She was never able to give me a straight answer on what the doctors had told her. Probably because she didn't want to scare me, but I think also because she half tuned out what the doctors said because it made it easier for her to cope. 

I would speak directly with her doctors, otherwise you won't likely get a straight answer. We always think that we will have more time with our loved ones than what we end up with. I look back and I wish I'd had a more clear knowledge of what my moms real prognosis was and then maybe make the most of the time we had left.

You are lucky that right now your mom still seems to be feeling reasonably well and has good mental faculties, and sounds quite clever to be downplaying it all. Please enjoy your mum, every minute of your time together. 

All the best