Mesothelioma

My Dad was diagnosed with mesothelioma on 07/02 things started with a cough back in October. I’m worried as he has been signed off from the hospital over to palliative care the only option is chemo for palliative purposes but x3 professionals have said After he asked for their opinion they wouldn’t have it as sometimes the cons outweigh the pros for what would be two months extra his been given 6-12 months. At the moment he hasn’t really been out since October and in recent weeks doesn’t go anywhere except from bed or on the sofa. His still in lots of pain even though the care team have given him pain relief, anti sickness and tablets for nerve pain. He is still in pain, constipated, nauseous and unsteady on his feet. His partner is looking after him round the clock but I can’t understand why some of these drugs aren’t working more effectively. I feel at a loss as to what to suggest to him and am frightened as things seem to have gone badly very quickly.

• Hello Vikf,

I'm really sorry to learn about your dad's diagnosis and the pain that he has been in. It is understanderable that you would be scared. We have some information here which I hope can help him cope with the side effects, as well as any financial advice you may need. There's also the nurses free helpline at the bottom of the page, should you want to talk to someone.

Wishing you all the best,

Moderator Anastasia