Mesothelioma

Hi ,

My dads been diagnosed with malignant mesothelioma and been given a prognosis of 3-7 mths. 

We’re devastated, he’s lost weight and is short of energy. We have our first appointment with the oncologist on Monday, we weee told all they’re going to propose is palliative care.

I know that everyone’s different and the prognosis depends on numerous factors but this is so hard to come to terms with.

I guess I’m just wondering if anyone else has had much experience with this terrible diagnosis  

• Hello Sheila. 

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad's diagnosis. Understandably this is a really difficult time for you all at the moment. 

How did the appointment with the oncologist go yesterday? I hope that they were able to answer some of the questions that you have had. 

If it would help to talk to someone, we have a team of nurses here at Cancer Research UK that you can call to speak to. They are available Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm on 0808 800 4040. 

Sending you all our best wishes, 
    Jenn
    Cancer Chat moderator

• Hi Jenn,

Thanks for your response, Sorry I’m only responding to your message now, life’s been very hectic these past few months :(

The appointment withe the oncologist went ok I guess. Dad was offered 3 sessions of palliative chemo, after which they’ll do a scan to see if it’s had any effect on the tumours.

Dad has his 2nd session of chemo on 14th of this month and has been very lethargic with no appetite since. I don’t think he’ll go back for his 3rd though.

Its so hard but we’re trying to be as positive as we can for dad, we’re taking everyday as it comes.  X