Melanoma stage 3 - BRAF tablets or immunotherapy?

My name is Matt. I am 36 year old diagnosed a few months ago with melanoma. Having had the excision, a WLE and a SLNB, I am now discussing adjuvant drug options with a consultant for the first time this week. I have a choice of tablets (Tafinlar+Mekinist) or immunotherapy via IV. Both pros and cons. I should also add I have been told I'm BRAF V600K - most people are V600E. Less data out there for K people apparently. Anyone have experience of making this decision between one or the other? Any thoughts for me? Matt

• Hi Matt,

I too am Stage 3 but I was diagnosed long before adjuvant treatment was made available to Stage 3 patients. There are very few melanoma patients in the forum, especially Stage 3, so you may not receive a response. However, I do know several patients who have been in your position. I have sent you a friend request - if you accept it I can pass on information that may be helpful.

Good luck,

Angie (Stage 3 melanoma patient since 2009)

• Hi

I was diagnosed with Grade 2 C melanoma Cancer is August 2022 to which i had an operation to remove more skin which needed a skin graft  and had lymph nodes taken from under my arm and elbow. I have been given the all clear that the cancer has not spread to my lymph nodes and there is no more cancer in my hand. I have been offered Pembrolizumab every 6 weeks for a year plus to help the cancer not come back or take check ups every 3 months. I dont know what to decide as the side affects can be bad and cause long term illness. i feel that i dont want to not take the treatment and then it comes back and regret it.

Good Luck on your decission

Emma

• Hi Emma,

Please accept my friend request and then I can share some information that may help you with your decision.

Angie

• Thanks for sharing Emma. It's interesting to me that you're a stage before me ie: no spread to lymph nodes and they have still offered you a drug treatment to consider taking - interesting. I can't make your decision for you, but you have to be totally comfortable with what you want and what you decide - no regrets. Best wishes, Matt 

• Thanks Angie. I think I accepted the request. I haven't used this platform much. Best wishes, Matt

• I've sent you a message. Just for info, adjuvant treatment was first made available to newly diagnosed Stage 3 patients in the autumn of 2018 whilst for Stage 2 patients it only became available this summer.

• Thanks Angie. I have looked up the FB group. Matt