Melanoma

I'm a newly diagnosed stage 1 melanoma patient, got to have a wide excision op in the coming weeks. 

Struggling with the uncertainty of it all, it seems the outlook and odds are good but have been reading so many sad and frightening stories about reoccurance. Just feel scared and that life won't ever be the same again,

Sorry to rant, guess this has to sink in. 

• Hello Simples65

I'm sorry to hear that your results came back showing you have melanoma. It's understandable that you're feeling scared about things at the moment. 

I can see from another post that you've been chatting with  the lovely [@AngieT]‍ . I know she will have offered some very sensible advice. 

I just wanted to let you know that if you want to talk to one of our nurses at any point then they are available on 0808 800 4040 (Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm). 

Best wishes, 
    Jenn
    Cancer Chat moderator

• Hi Simple65

I wondered how you were getting on? I have just been diagnosed with stage 1 and currently recovering from my WLE. I feel like I am at the place you were when you wrote your post.

I’m a young mum to three girls and I can’t help spiralling from reading terrifying stories about reoccurring melanoma. 

• Hi Simple65 and gillyfr

Just saw your post and seem like i feel exactly the same. Just been diagnosed with stage 1 melanoma. Had my WLE last Friday plus 5 more moles removed so awaiting results. Same as you I am so scared. Have two little girls and its just terrifying. 

Your post were a while ago. Hope you are both well.

• Hi,

Just read your post - i have joined as my husband diagnosed with throat cancer!

I had melonoma about 13-14 years ago and I am now clear and a survuvor.

I know where you are coming from as you hear that word "cancer" and your whole life falls apart and is turned upside down. 

All I can say is hang on in there and the treatment is improving all the time.  At the time when I was diagnosed my nurse said to me if you are going to get a cancer then this is the one to get as it is treatable.  She also told me that the way forward was positivity and she was right so hang on in there and remember you are in the best hands possible.

I hope everything goes well and keep your spirits up if you can.

• Hi KasiaMs,

I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis and everything that you are going through. I remember how anxious I was in the months following, it is difficult to deal with all of the uncertainty surrounding a cancer diagnosis and it is made worse due to the current pandemic when you can't see friends/family for support. I found it really difficult to deal with my diagnosis especially as my youngest was only 11 months, having children made me worry about the future. 

I am now 7 months on and I don't worry and think about it everyday. In the early days it consumed all of my thoughts and I would come on to this forum to read other people's stories to try to connect with other people going through the same journey. It is helpful to read posts like those from Noddy who was diagnosed 13-14 years ago and is still clear. 

I have sent you a friend request so I can share some other tips if you would like?

I hope you hear about your other moles soon, waiting for results is really hard.

Thinking of you.

• Hi gillyfr and Noddy for your posts.

It is good to hear that my feelings will change. Definately all cosumed by cancer at the moment.  It seems like I had so many things to think about before but now all I can think about is cancer.

gillyfr if you could please share some positive stories/tips I thing that would be a great help. I seem to be finding all sad stories which is not doing any good.

Noddy, I am so happy to hear your positive story. Thank you so much for sharing. So sorry to hear about your hunsband. It must be a very stresfull time for both of you again. I hope his will be a great syccess sortu like yours.

I do have some great news. My other moles and the WLE came back all clear. Have further 3 moles removed next week and hoping for some positive news as well. Fingers crossed.

I was wondering how did you both get along with ongoing monitoring of your skin after diagnosis. I have so many moles (easly over 100) and I am now really worried that is there is another melanoma I will not be able to spot it in time. I am going to have regular visist with my dermatologist but I know that i need to do checks too. Did you find any good ways? Seems like there are apps and AI mole mapping available now. If you would have any tips or found some good source of info that you could share that would be lovely.

gillyfr - thank you for the invite. I acceped it. It woul be nice to stay in touch and hear how you are getting on.

Nobby, I really hope all goes well for your hubby and that you will remain cancer free for many many more years. Thank you again for sharing your positive story as it did help a lot.

Sending you both warm hugs!

K

• Great news that your other moles were okay and your WLE came back clear. 

I have lots of moles, also easily over 100! I have taken photos of each part of my body and saved them on my phone in a folder (this is what the dermatologist advised). Each month I check back over them and compare (well my husband checks over them as I can't see them all). I have a full mole check every 4 months for a year with the dermatologist. Once the year is up I think I will go annually for a mole check at a private clinic as I know I will worry.

• Yes, it was a big relief about other moles. 3 more to go next week. Hopefully I should know before Xmas.

Yes, will definately be going for regular check with dermatologist for sure. Just so worries about self check as I do struggle with so many moles and they are all diffrent. I am so worried that I will miss something. Hopefully once I get into swing of things I will feel more in control. At the moment big C controls me...

Thank you so much gillyfr!