Melanoma

Hi I am new on here I was diagnosed with stage 3 melanoma on Monday afternoon it was diagnosed on the size of the tumor, without having a snlb I am now waiting on a CT scan which was put down has urgent does anyone on here have ever heard of being diagnosed with stage 3 melanoma without having a snlb

•  

HI,

Welcome to our forum.

I am sorry to hear your diagnosis. Doctors who work with cancers all the time could probably diagnose a lot of cases, particularly those on the surface of the skin, from 40 paces. That's not to say that they are always right. They can sometimes be wrong, which is why most don't say anything until they have the result of your biopsy or pathology back.

I had a mole on my back earlier this year and, due to the pressures on dermatology, I had to attend medical imaging. My photo was then sent to the dermatologist, who prioritized cases, dependent on what she saw in the photo.

I hope that you get your CT scan soon.

Do please keep in touch and let us know how you get on. We are always here for you.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• Hi jolamine thanks for replying I appreciate very much, I have hbee given a date for my CT scan it is on the 8th of  November which is 24 days after being diagnosed do you think that is a long time to wait considering I have was marked down as being urgent. John

• Hi John,

Can I just ask if the Stage 3 you have been given is T3 which means your melanoma was between 2 and 3 mm in depth? A Stage 3 diagnosis means there is lymph node involvement which can only be ascertained by a SLNB or if you have a palpable node (lump) which would then be biopsied. A CT scan would show lymph node involvement so has the consultant felt any dwellings in your groin or armpit or neck (dependent on where your melanoma was)?

• Hi John,

I have had 2 bouts of breast cancer in the past 8 years and the mole on my back was something that my lymphoedema nurse advised me to get seen to. My dermatologist was quite sure that there was no need for me to have a biopsy for the mole, so I had no further intervention. I understand that some waiting times for different tests for different types of cancer take longer than others, as do the results of these tests.

There can be quite a demand on CT scans, so it may also depend upon what hospital you attend. I am not a doctor, but wouldn't consider 3 weeks to be abnormally long, but I would have expected an urgent referral to have been a little quicker. Have you tried phoning the X-ray department and telling them that you are willing to take a cancellation at short notice? It is often worth doing this.

I hope that you are fortunate enough to get an earlier appointment and that your results are better than what you have already been told.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx