Melanoma

Hi All

I had surgery 5 weeks ago to do wide incision of a malignant melanoma. I also had  biopsy of my lymph nodes on both arm pits. They removed one node. I found out on Thursday by telephone consultation that the cancer has spread to my lymph nodes.....feeling shell shocked.

I had a telephone call today Saturday to organise MRI on Thursday.....

• Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that your melanoma has spread to your nodes. It's a great shock - I can still remember when I was diagnosed with the same 11 years ago. The thing to focus on is that there is now adjuvant drug treatment available to Stage 3 patients - this wasn't available until 18 months ago. It's showing great promise at keeping the melanoma from returning or spreading so don't despair.

They should have tested your melanoma to see if you have the BRAF positive gene or if you are BRAF negative. If it's BRAF + you will be either offered targeted therapy or immunotherapy. BRAF - patients only have immunotherapy as targeted drugs don't work on their melanoma. They may also offer you a further removal of more lymph nodes which is something to be considered carefully.

I will send you a friend request so that we can chat by private message if you feel it will be helpful. 

Good luck with the MRI and please let us know how you get on.