Melanoma

Hi, 

Has anyone had WLE and SLNB for melanoma, no skin flap or graft needed, will the skin be very tight when healed? 

What's the difference

• Hi I had mine on my arm 27 Aug, no it's not tight at all.

Jo

•  

Hello and thanks for your post,

I am sorry to hear that you are going to have treatment for a melanoma.

A wide local excision (WLE) is when they remove the melanoma and a clear margin around the cancer to make sure that they have removed all of the cancer.

Sentinel lymph node biopsy (SLNB) is a test to find the first lymph node or nodes that a melanoma may spread to. The doctor then checks to see if this lymph node contains cancer cells. if your doctor thinks that you need a sentinel lymph node biopsy, you have it at the same time as your operation to remove tissue around the melanoma (wide local excision).  You can read more about these tests here and here

Surgeons are experienced at performing this operation so I am sure that they will do all they can to prevent the skin feeling very tight. 

Do discuss any concerns that you have before you have the  procedure.

It is of course interesting hearing from other members of the forum but it is also worth bearing in mind that everyone is so different and the melanoma may be in a completely different area.

I hope that these links may be helpful but you are also more then welcome to ring and chat to one of the nurses on the helpline.  The number to call is Freephone 0808 800 4040 and the lines are open from 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday.

All the Best,

Catherine

• I've had both recently. The WLE was tight for me due to the position of the cancer, upper right shoulder blade. I can imagine that if it was in a different position it wouldn't feel bad.

My wound healed nicely although there was a small tear which meant rather than the shape of a tennis racket I now have a tennis racket hitting a ball:laugh:

Its my scar and I love it :wink:

Good luck

• Hi Catherine, 

Thanks for that. 

Family member now four weeks tomorrow post SLNB and WLE stage 2b melanoma.

Healing well. Just today the inside of elbow is swollen, what may have caused this - is this normal? Worried about this.

Swelling in hand and thumb slightly since surgery, Which I assume is normal post op. 

Any advice? 

• Hello and thanks for your further post,

Swelling is expected after surgery for a while. It might be an idea to try and rest the arm more and not over using it, or have it hanging down for long periods during the day, as fluid can build up. Do seek advice from the hospital nurse or team about this, between appointments, if you are worried.

Sometimes infection can develop, but this would normally present as feeling hot and red, alongside some swelling.

I hope that this is useful,

Best wishes,

Vanda