Meetups for young adult family members?

Hi everyone.

To cut to it - I'm 29 and my dad's been undergoing every treatment under the sun. It's been emotionally exhausting.

I live in London and while I have lots of lovely friends, none have experienced this/anything similar and it can feel isolating. I would like to meet-up with other young adults who can actually relate?! Not just to sit and mope - though we can of course do that too! - but just to be friendly faces for each other who actually understand, and maybe even have a bit of laugh.

(Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this.)

• Hello j-e-s-s,

This is a very nice initiative and I hope you will meet people near you who understand what you are going through at the moment. As Cancer Chat is an online space where people can talk to others anonymously online, it might be a little bit difficult to organize something via the forum. You can find out more about how we protect our members' privacy in our terms and conditions here where we "advise caution if you want to meet another Cancer Chat user. If you do choose to meet another user you do so at your own risk and should take common sense precautions."

These simple precautions aside, I really hope that you will connect with other young people here who are in a similar situation who have a loved one affected by cancer and that you can have a lovely little meet up in London. Sometimes it is nice to talk in the real world too so it is a great idea :)

I thought I'd also send you this link  to Carers UK - they have a local directory where you will be able to search for support near where you live so there might also be some groups in place already you may want to join.

Enjoy the lovely weekend with lots of sunshine and cat cuddles!

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Thanks Lucy, I did wonder if I was barking up the wrong tree! Obviously I know I'm not a weirdo, but I appreciate others can't be sure! I'll see if anyone does reply and fancies it but I'll definitely look on the site you've suggested. I'd love to join an existing meetup but have struggled to find anything for people my age. I consider my mum the carer at the moment as she's at home with Dad whereas I'm in London attempting to hold down a job, but maybe there'll be something on there. Have a lovely weekend too!

• Hi j e s s ...

What a lovely idea .. there are young ones that pop on here ... and us oldies would love to meet each other ... but the trouble is wer all over the U K ... some from other countries too ... so as much as it's a great idea .. unless a young one in your area answers ... it's still a lovely thought ...

Hope you find someone in your area .. but like Lucie says, be very very careful ... there are loads of good people out there but a few bad ones too .. hope your dad keeps kicking cancers butt down this road wer on ... bet he's really proud of you ... take care Chrissie x

• Hi Jess

is this still something you'd be interested in? Sorry to hear about your dad. My mum had cancer last year and I'm looking for something similar. It's hard to talk to people who haven't been through it.

Based in Peterborough but in london fairly often

Lizzy