MDS

anyone else diagnosed and living with myelodysplastic syndrome,just to compare notes would be nice.

• Hi jipster, 

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis but hopefully other members on the forum who have this diagnosis will be along soon to offer their support and share their experiences with you. I'm not sure if you have come across this already but I have found a website called mds uk patients support group which I think will be quite useful as you can connect with others there as well.

If you need any further help or support do feel free to give our cancer nurses a call. They are available Monday - Friday between 9a.m - 5p.m on 0808 800 4040 which is free to call from a UK landline.

All the best, 

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hi jipster,

I was formally diagnosed with mds yesterday though I think it had been on the cards for a few weeks as vitamin B12 injections weren't doing anything to improve my blood cell counts. They checked my bone marrow and found excess blast cells. I had about 10%, whereas it should be less than 5%. As I'm 69, I was a bit surprised when the consultant said they were going to try intensive chemotherapy followed by a bone marrow transplant. I don't have any siblings so I'm waiting in hope that they can find a suitable donor. If they do, I'll be admitted for treatment in a week or so.

Best wishes,

Dave