Mastectomy advice

Hi there,

I'm going to see my surgeon tomorrow about having a double mastectomy after being diagnosed with breast cancer last year at age 36 and more recently being diagnosed with the Brca2 gene alteration.

I'm thinking of having the mastectomy, but has anybody got any advice they can give about recovery time, breast reconstruction etc. 

Thanks, 

Rach x

• Hi Rach, 

I hope your appointment with the surgeon went well the other day but if you have anything playing on your mind since you spoke with them then you're very welcome to talk things through with our cancer nurses on 0808 800 4040, Monday - Friday between 9a.m - 5p.m.

We have some information about the different types of surgery for breast cancer just here as well but hopefully some of our members will be along soon to share their experiences and advice.

Kind regards,

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator

•  

Hi May,

I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I have had 2 bouts of breast cancer in the past 11 years and have had a lumpectomy, followed by a double mastectomy a year later. I just wanted to let you know that my operation was much easier than I expected it to be. I cannot recall exactly how long my recuperation took, but it was quicker that it was for my lumpectomy. Unfortunately, I was not a suitable candidate for reconstruction, due to scarring from previous non-cancer-related surgery, but I manage well with a selection of prostheses for different activities.

Have you got a date for your surgery yet and, what did you decide about surgery when you saw your consultant on Wednesday?

If I can help you in any way, you only have to ask. We are always here for you.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• Hi Jolamine,

Sorry to hear you've had to deal with this twice, I hope you're feeling well now?

The surgeon said my best option if I want a mastectomy is reconstruction using my own tissue as I'm only 37. This operation is quite major tho with a weeks stay in hospital and a 4 month recovery. It was alot to take in. I also have to lose the weight I put on during chemo before I can have it which I was also really sad about. Everyone said don't worry, weight gain is normal during breast cancer chemo, but now I have to lose it or have a mastectomy without reconstruction. I want to lose the weight anyway but now I feel kind of pressured, also ashamed and embarrassed! I'm also having my ovaries removed, but that will hopefully be before the boobie surgery so it's out the way, and that surgery is much easier.

Rach x

• Hello Rach

I had a double mastectomy with implants at the same time. I'm 50. The operation was on 1 April. I had the surgery on the Thursday and went home on the Saturday. Pain wise it was pretty bad the first 3 or 4 days. Now I'd describe it as no worse than the throbbing breasts women often get in the time coming up to their period. The cancer was in one breast but I asked for the double mastectomy as I didn't want to live with the constant fear of cancer coming into the other breast. I don't regret it.

• Hi Jilly,

Thank you for your reply. Glad to hear you're starting to feel better now and not in too much pain. 

My surgeon has advised against implants, instead advised to use my own tissue from my stomach to make new breasts. I have the brca2 gene so the risk of the cancer coming back was too high to chance keeping both breasts. 

Take care and hope you continue to recover well. 

Rach x

•  

Hi Rach,

You have a lot to get through, but there are people on the site who have been through this. and, I hope that they'll join you soon to give you the benefit of their experience. The people who I have known with the BRCA gene used the tissue from their back and, with having a double mastectomy, found recuperation quite hard. It should be easier when the donor site is your tummy, because at least you'd still be able to sleep on your back.

There is no need to feel ashamed or embarrassed, we nearly all put weight on during treatment. I gained 6 stone and, it took me until last year to lose this weight. This was 10 years after my last surgery. I can understand how you feel pressured, but the need to have your ovaries removed should give you the incentive to do this. I managed to do this with sensible eating and exercise classes and didn't find it that difficult once I'd started.

Have you been given a timeline for your surgery yet?

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

•  

Hi Jilly,

I'm glad to hear that your surgery is behind you now and that you are doing well. I have had 2 bouts of breast cancer in the past 11 years. First time I had a lumpectomy. A year later I had a double mastectomy. Like you, I have no regrets whatsoever. Have you got any further plans for treatment now?

Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on. We are always here for you.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx