Mastectomy

Ive been diagnosed with dcis cells and have been booked in for operation in 2 weeks. How do you continue knowing you are waiting to have this done to you

• Hi,

I know this is a very difficult time for you, but you have to stay positive and keep busy, surround yourself with close friends and family who will give you the support you need.

I was diagnosed last Feb 16 ( aged 47 ) I had two tumours and one was DCIS I had a mastectomy (left side) in April 16  and had a expandable implant put in and was so surprised how good it looked afterwards, also had some lymph nodes removed which does make under your armpit feel numb and strange but you get used to it.

Just take one step at a time and don't be too hard on yourself you will find the strength.

wishing all the best 

Chris

• Thank you. I am freaking out at the moment my op id 8th june so a while to dwell on it. I have to get my lymph modes taken out too. My mum died last feb i have my daughter who is a rock. How long did you have to take from work x

• Hi Terrylia

the mere sound if the word cancer and mastectomy sets anyone into panic!!! Me included. I had my diagnosis in 2013 (April) and had left mastectomy with axilliary clearance of lymph nodes. The only way I felt I could cope was to take one step at a time. Don't worry about ahead because you will spoil the good things that are happening now with you family and friends. All I kept thinking was that's that hurdle over, next step was chemo, that came and went then I had a year of herceptin . All finished now. I would be lying to you if I said it was ok for me know. You have to try and get on with your life. The hardest part for me are the yearly mammograms and checkups. I worry until I have had the result and as long as it is clear.  Life goes on. I am now 4 years clear!!! Think positive, go with the flow and with the help of your family and friends around I am sure you will be ok. Good luck xxx Shirley a survivor so far of breast cancer

• Hi Terrylia,

I know the 8th seems a long way away but it will soon come round like I said just get through one day at a time as your emotions are all over the place, one day you may feel tearful and the next positive or angry all these are normal to feel.

I'm so glad that you have your daughter for support, I have two daughters who were and still are fab also I'm very lucky to have a amazing husband who has been my rock and the only one who I have been completely truthful with in how I felt whilst going through my treatment.

Sadly I know how you feel as I also lost my Mum and although nearly eight years ago I still would love to pick up the phone and talk to her as it doesn't matter how old you get you want your Mum especially in times of stress.

I had 6 rounds of chemo and 15 sessions of radiotherapy and this Feb had my first reconstruction all this sounds scary but you can do this, mark things off and think of it a step nearer to the finishing line.

I worked with children and sadly couldn't return whilst having chemo due to possible infection, it just  wasn't worth the risk! Then where I worked closed so I don't have a job at the moment.

There is no right or wrong amount of time to be off as everyone  is different and it depends on what type of job you do, sadly you just can't plan for things as you don't know how you will be.

sorry if I've gone on too much hope it hasn't sent you to sleep

If you need to talk request me as a friend always here for you to sound of to.

take care 

Chris x