Mastectomy

Can anyone help me I'm going for a double mastectomy and reconstruction using my abdomen in about 5 week. What do you recommend for my hospital stay? Clothes what did you wear? Did you get dressed? Underwear? I've googled but doesn't tell me that much 

• Hi there ...

Sorry you've had to join our Brest buddies club ... but it is doable ... and looking back the wait is the worse ... didn't have much pain after masectomy myself and others I talked to .. 

Things I'm glad I had was a man's sleep shirt as it's loose and long and buttons are easily done ... my cancer nurse , I think from McMillan nurse who gave me a little heart shaped soft cushion for under my armpit where lymph nodes were taken.... was a god send ...  I'm sure you could make one if you've not been given one ... from pure cotton or silk ... not sure if you'll need a bra ... but if you wanted one I found a night bra without underwire from asda as they do masectomy bras you can order on line or their shops ... May help you feel more 'normal ' and stop it rubbing on clothing ...

Fingers crossed all goes smoothly ... there's lots of us breast lasses on here ... you sound really strong .. that will so help you to ... Chrissie x

• Thank you both 

I found out I had brac2 when I was 28 so after 2 years it's finally moving and I have my mastectomy and have to have my ovaries removed in a few more years. 

Trying to find button up pjs is harder than expected but I will get there. The surgeon told me that they will provide me with my bras and that I don't need to have any others for a while. I've been told I will have 4 drains and a stay in hospital of at least 5 days. Hopefully it won't be longer as I have two younger children who won't see me for 3 weeks as I have to isolate 2 weeks before and I can't let them miss school again. 

thank you 

Leah 

• hi I had mastectomy and underarm lymph nodes removed end of June it was surprisingly painless aftet surgery. however I had seroma (build up of fluid), my wound took weeks to heal and I have developed slight lymphodema. I stayed overnight and the wait for reconstruction is over 2 years, apparently the reconstruction with abdomen is very popular as you get a free tummy tuck  I'm having reconstruction as my breasts are large and now I feel very disproportionate. 
    I bought button fronted pjs from Simplybe and fig leaves. Good luck x

• Hi that's made me feel better about the pain. I was all for having it done but I'm slightly nervous now. I'm having my reconstruction at the same time so it's all out of the way. 
    my surgeon recommended the abdomen rather than an implant he said it's better as you don't need to replace them after time like the implant. I've managed to get pjs now but gonna keep looking. Not sure how long of a stay I have and the hospital is over 2 hours away from home  

thank you very much x