Masectomy

In hospital now, after masectomy on Friday. Nurses keeping me comfortable, have had a few doses of morphine and some painkillers. It's mainly the drain that hurts a bit but that's being removed today and I'm going home. Bit of a shock looking in the mirror at my one flat breast, but I already have a masectomy bra and prothesis. A bit too early to be wearing it yet. Results of op in 2 weeks when further treatment will be assessed. I will definitely be having radiotherapy in my chest wall.

Well I've survived, and to anyone going through this just think of that cancer gone and what a relief to get this far. 
Love and healing vibes...

Silver

• Hi there ..

So glad the op is now behind you ..now baby steps and you'll get there ..

The way I coped with my one flat boob was .. every time I looked at my little granddaughter,  I thought what would I rather have a good boob or her ... easy ... when I look at my scar now 2 years on, it is the story of my journey .. how far I've come, and the lovely memories I've made sinse ... 

One story I've told a few times on here is a little while after op, she was sitting on my lap watching t.v .. I was adjusting my false boob... she turned round , quick as a flash pulled away my tee shirt  ... let out a shout of ... nanny how are you going to feed babies now...   still makes me smile .. she was 5  .. l was 63 .. sometimes she puts a toy up her jumper and says she's like nanny now .. l dread to think what she wrote in her news letter at school ..  

But I know everyone is different and it's getting used to the new you .. but it can be even better .. coz now we appreciate so much more .. nothing is taken for granted... 

Chrissie x

• So sweet and fun to read Chrissie....

• How are yoi doing Silver? I hope your recovery is going well.

E x

• Hi there, felt b.....awful today. Nauseous and low oxygen count. Feeling slightly better this evening, hoping to have drain out tomorrow Thank you for asking, very nice of you x 

• Hi there Chriss

I'm not sure how I'll feel about my flat boob when I get home. I already have masectomy bra and prothesis so I suppose that will be next step when I've healed. My granddaughter is 19 now and she is going to Bali to teach mental health to children as part of her Uni degree. She is so important to me and helping her raise some funds has helped to take my mind off things. A nd as you say, nothing is taken for granted

Silver xx 

• Well I've got a tear in my eye now ...  your braver then you think ... this time next year, you'll help someone else in our position ...

Here's wishing you piece at Xmas... and to the best present of all  ... time ... and wer all ready blessed with my little Emily.. and your amazing granddaughter who you can now see how she does in Bali..

When it gets tough ,keep her picture close and look at it ... sending you a vertual hug... 

Now wer breast friends Chrissie x

• My granddaughter is called Emily ! ️

• Hi Silver

Did you get your drain out today and are you home yet?  I think it's much better being at home rather than in hospital as you can totally relax in your own home.

I'm finding it very strange being flat one side and have to say whatever I wear looks truly awful so just baggy and scarves for me at the moment but it's only day 5 days since my mastectomy so guess we'll get used to it.

Not sure when we can start to use a prothesis so going to look about that.......

Like you, it's the waiting game now to get the results and next stage of treatment!!

Sending you some positive wishes. Rosie x

• Wow now I know she's extra spiecial ..... every one called Emily is magical ... that's my Emily in little pic at nursery 4 years ago  ... 

Now take care ... baby steps ...

• Hi Rosie,

Just had drain out and waiting to go home. Very strange having one boob, I've got a vest top on with a prothesis inside so it looks the same from the front, just temporary. 
    I might get vest tops with pockets when dressing is changed, although I have already a masectomy bra from Laura Jane and will get prettier ones later. Can't bear the thought of reconstruction yet as another op but maybe 6months down the line . Can't wait to get home and in that shower!! Aren't we brave? X 

Love Silver ️