Malignant Melanoma

Hello I have not posted before.

My name is Julie and I have had melanoma for 7 years. Whilst this was being managed by surgery and suchlike, I had no problems dealing with it.

I am now on dabrafenib (I started with tafinlar initially) but the combination more or less wiped me out..

I have since been on a reduced dose, but struggling with side effects and copious hospital visits.

Has anyone else had this drug,and  how has it affected you? How do you cope?

• Hi Julie,

While your waiting for someone who has also had that type of cancer to see your post, I just wanted to check you were aware of the Search Forum function.  Even using the forum a lot I sometimes forget it's there.  I typed in malignant melanoma and lots of threads came up, some very old, some much newer.  Might be worth a look (if you haven't already).

Other than that I'm on chemotherapy, lots of hospital appointments, missing work more often than not now, and in terms of coping I'm just looking after my body as best I possibly can to help with side effects, talking to others on here, and using the MacMillan Jersey's 'The Oasis' centre for calm and cancer-aware company when I feel up to it.

Take care,

LJx

• Hello LJ

Thankyou for your reply- I am still trawing through the threads via the Search Forum function.

What I am finding hardest to accept is the dive from being a very active person to someone with no energy for much at all. I am having to give up full-time work and feeling that I have metamorphosised from a functioning human being to just a cancer patient. I suppose it is a timey wimey thingy. It would just be nice to speak to someone who has been through the same if only to complain about the size of needles appearing to get larger each time!

Thanks again

Julie