Lymphoma

Hi. 

I am on my second wait for my tests.  I have a painful 

lump that is in breast and underarm. I was seen by the 

hospital within two weeks. Had a biopsy. Scan etc. 

Now I had an appt 31st Dec. I been told I have to 

wait another few days. As they suspecting lymphoma 

or a nasty infection.  I’m in so much pain. I am so confused and trying to keep busy. But this wait is killing me.  Is anyone been through this 

• Hello sangha,

Poor you I am so sorry to hear that you have been in so much pain and having to wait for results. I really hope you won't have to wait too long now as it can be such a stressful experience. So many on our forum have been in a similar position before and I think they will tell you that you are adopting the right strategy in trying to keep busy.

Hopefully it won't be long now until you get some answers. Do come back here if you get a second and let us know what you find out. We are all here to chat and so many on this forum will relate to how you are feeling at the moment.

Best wishes,

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Lucie. 

Thank you. It’s the worst of all  the waiting game

I am now waiting for a call from the secretary. I came

to London to stay with my family. But doesn’t matter how

busy you keep yourself. Mind still ticks back to the 

pain and I’m not getting much responds on my post.

Hoping it is an infection. But can that cause a lump 

pain. God knows. Then I’ll have to be on another clinic. 

Another wait. Let’s see.  I’ll keep you posted. 

X   

•  

Hi Sangha,

I am so sorry to hear about your experience in waiting for a diagnosis. Unfortunately, some of us have to wait longer than others, where there is no distinct diagnosis. Waiting for test results is scary enough, but when you need additional tests and time marches on, you will naturally get increasingly worried.

I would imagine that your pain is dragging you down too. Is it staying the same, or is it getting worse? If the pain is increasing, it might be worth phoning the breast care nurse and telling her how you're feeling. She may be able to bring you in and give you antibiotics, if your inflammatiion is increasing.

I don't know what age you are, but some people have naturally lumpy breasts, which are not cancerous. I am not a medic, but it does sound like an infection.

Here's hoping that this is the case and, that it heals up quickly. If it is of any consolation to you, I have had 2 bouts of breast cancer. Both were treated by different surgeons and, both told me that it is rare to have pain with breast cancer.

Thinking of you and hoping that you hear something soon.

Please let us know how you get on and remember that we are always here for you.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• Jolamine  thank you so much. How are you 

feeling now ?  

Aww thank you.  I’m 43.  It’s painful at times not 

so much.   Last year I had heart op.  Pneumonia 

I’m on so much medicines.  As for pain I have co

dramadol x. 

Dreading this call. Xx

•  

Hi Sangha,

I'm doing well thanks. It sounds as if you have been in amongst it. What with your heart op and Pneumonia last year and, the possibility of Lymphoma this year, I hope that you've had your lot for many years to come. What sort of heart op did you have. My hubby has had a few stents put in, then a quadruple by-pass, followed by Pneumonia and a stroke. That was ten years ago and, in January 2018 he was diagnosed with heart failure. I was diagnosed just as he was recovering from Pneumonia.

I know what you mean about being on so many medicines. I'm the same and, every so often I find that one counters the other, or causes side-effects. If they are controlling your pain that's ok, but please remember that your breast care nurse is always there if not.

Sometimes they don't like to give you news over the phone, so if they give you an appointment to see them, try to bring someone with you. It is also a good idea to draw up a list of questions for your consultant each time before you see him.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for good news.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• Jolamine. 

Hi.  I had stents.  Second op. Oh hope his ok now x. 

Oops what I meant a call for an appointment. But when 

I saw a consultant he did say it seems it’s lymphoma 

more then infection. Im so tired. I get up and tired. 

Pain is better. Just can’t help worrying. So how are you now. ?   Ive not given no breast care nurse. As he said it’s not breast cancer. I have to be referred to another clinic 

once diagnosed. Yes will take hubby. And just worry all 

the time. Had a crap Xmas. New Years snd just keep talking about it. And letting myself go. But going back to the gym and on s diet. So need to loose some weight. 

I just want to see my son graduate and make me proud this year. 

Thsnk you for replying x

•  

Hi Sangha,

I hope that your stents have made a big difference. Unfortunately, these didn't work for my hubby and he had to have the quadruple by-pass soon after that.

Trying to lose weight is a good idea. I put on a lot of weight with my treatment and, it is only in the last year and a half that I have managed to lose 5 stones.

It is good that you can talk openly about how you feel to your hubby. It is sometimes hard for partners to discuss this, if they have no previous experience of cancer.

If you haven't got a breast care nurse, you could phone up your consultant's secretary, who will pass on a message to him. The other way is to see your GP and, ask him to check your breasts for infection. Your consultant should have written to him by now with details of what they have found so far.

Having your son's graduation this year, should give you a goal to aim for. What is he graduating in? I have no doubt that you will be one of the proudest mums there on the day.Is he your only child?

We are always here for you.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• Jolamine. 

How are you ?   Is your hubby ok now ?  Well this 

is my second lots of stents. Had some in 2013. Let’s see. 

Only child from first marriage.  I was born brought up 

in London. And divorced when son was 1. Met someone 

6 years ago got married 3 years but have had to move 

up north. Just don’t feel settled there. Hubbys a nice 

guy but went through awful patches with him but worked 

them through.  Just still feel insecure and not st home 

but right now cane to my parents in London for a week 

feel safe and comfy. My son was here too but back to uni.  He was the best thing came out of marriage. Proud of 

him.  

g.P has sAid as they don’t know what it is yet he can’t 

put me on more pain killers. In my tray I already have 

pentagablin this co dramadol.  Pains calmed down a lot

but is on off and always like achey. Heavy. Thank you for your support and being there. 

Where do you live. ? Now I’m in Scunthorpe. Big 

difference lol.  How did you manage to loose weight 

I give up. Thinking of joining slimming world. Have you been diagnosed ?  It’s just this waiting game is a 

killer   X 

Babita xx

• Lucie. 

Shall do.  Just dreading the worse.  My niece and 

nephew getting married soon. Two weddings just want to be pain free and enjoy them. XX 

thank you. X

•  

Hi Babita,

I’m doing ok thanks. Hubby is struggling with his heart failure. We never know whether it is going to be a good day or not, so it is difficult to plan anything ahead. I’m sorry to hear that having found a nice man, you are finding it difficult to settle. Three years is not all that long, so I hope that you soon begin to settle in.

I am glad to hear that your pain has settled down a little. You will probably find that your consultant is more likely to prescribe pain killers than your GP, who won’t want to interfere with what the consultant is doing at present. To be fair, it is difficult to do anything until they know exactly what they are dealing with.

Losing weight was not easy. I started off with a Slimming class and, only lost a couple of pounds in a year. I then tried the Raspberry ketone diet and lost 3 stones, but didn’t feel very good on it. I was then referred to a rehabilitation course by my GP. This was a gentle exercise class provided for people who had heart attacks, strokes, cancer, Multiple Sclerosis, etc and, was funded by the NHS, so I had to be referred by my GP. It lasted for 15 weeks and I then joined an exercise class for OAPs.  I did this once a week for an hour.

I then discovered another class funded by the NHS. This was called ‘Weigh to go’. Here I got weighed every week and had my waist measured every other week. We then had a discussion on food, eating out, sensible eating, etc. There is a set of 10 different topics. After that, we did some exercises for an hour. Doing these 2 classes a week and watching what I ate,has gradually reduced my weight by another 2 stones. I have since had to stop both classes, as my back and hip were too sore to exercise, but I continue to watch my diet and my weight is still going down slowly.

Yes I have been diagnosed. I have had 2 bouts of breast cancer. The first was 9 years ago, when I had a lumpectomy. The following year I had another primary in the same breast and, had a double mastectomy. I agree that the waiting for results is a challenge and, most of us find that it is one of the hardest parts of our cancer journeys, but we do get through it.

It becomes a little easier to cope with once you have a proper diagnosis and start treatment. Surely, it cannot be much longer before you get your diagnosis?

Thinking of you and hoping for good news.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx