Lymphoma.

i have suspected Lymphoma, due to have biopsy next week. At the moment the reality hasn't sunk in yet, I was told only a few hours ago. You know it's not good news when the the consultant turns to the nurse and says 'is there a quiet room we can have a chat?.  It's a surreal experience, words like cancer and chemotherapy being used in a conversation relating to you.

Anyway, my name is Tony, I am 70 years old, married for 50 years to Jose, have two adult sons and have 15 grandchildren. I live in West Wales. I am a carer for my wife who has a host of medical conditions. Which is my first concern.

it seems likely that my treatment will involve chemotherapy, of which I have heard terrible things about. At the moment I feel fine and Jose would not be able to cope if I am incompassitated by treatment. I have no idea what lies ahead of me.

• Hi Tony & welcome to this supportive forum. I have non hodgkins lymphoma but can't have chemo due to cirrhosis so I'm on 'watch & wait'. Wait for what God only knows!!

there are so many types of lymphoma & I sincerely hope that yours is one of the less aggressive ones. 

Wishing you the best possible outcome to your results & keep posting. 

Take good care of yourself 

• Hi Tony,

Welcome to the forum. I am from South Wales, small world isn't it? My mom had non-hodgkins lymphoma so can only talk of my experience.

Lymphoma is a very complex blood cancer, that has many sub-types. There is hodgkins or classic lymphoma, which is a very specific lymphoma and highly curable or non-hodgkins lymphoma which is more complex and has many sub-types.

How chemo will affect you varies from person to person. Really depends on what combinations of drugs will be used in your specific case and the strength. My mom was lucky that she tolerated the chemo fairly well only suffering from fatigue and a little nausea. Chemo is usually effective in treating Lymphoma, especially if it is of an aggressive type. The other type is slow growing (indolent), sometimes you can be placed on "watch and wait" if you have no major symptoms and people can live for many years without needing treatment.

Stage is important in any cancer but less so in Lymphoma, because it is true blood cancer the tumors can melt away using chemo, someone said to me like an ice cube.

Anyway hope this has given you some insight. I am no doctor though so take what I say with a pinch of salt. I can only speak of my experience, everyone is different.

Please keep us informed...

God Bless

• Hi Seabird, thank you for your reply, I think it takes a couple of weeks to get the results of my biopsy, which takes over Christmas. I have been reading up on the illness and forms of treatment, we'll have a better idea what's in store when we get the results. 

Thanks again for your words. Everything helps.

• Hi Antoni, thank you for your reply. I was worried about how damaging the chemo treatment might be, and I know everyone is different but the fact that your mother coped well with it has given me hope. Also your comment on the 'stage' of cancer was helpful as I am pretty sure it's in my neck and stomach, which I understand is stage 3 or 4. It's a journey that I hadn't planned on but we don't have much choice other than to make the best of it.

Does anyone know about life changes like diet and if so has anyone found that changing your diet is has helped?  

My brother died of Hodgkin's disease when he was 28. That was back in 1963, I'm sure there's been a lot of treatment development since then.

• Hi Tony,

Glad what I have said has given you some hope. My mom when diagnosed was 71 so near your age, hers was also in the neck, lung and stomach. 

I'm very sorry to hear of your brother and at such a young age. But yes treatments have come on leaps and bounds since then and new treatments are being developed all the time especially where lymphoma is concerned.

As for diets I'm not sure other than to say eat things that can help boost your immune system as chemo will effect that and will leave you more open to infections, colds etc.. you should also eat fish, yogurts and drink milk etc... for protien which will help your body repair.

Hopefully someone will chime in and give you more suggestions.

God Bless

• Hi i hope you are well? How did treatment respond to lymphoma? 

• Hello, how are you now? Ihope you are okay?