Lymphodema

Hi, 

I was wondering if any fellow lymphodema sufferers have experienced spots rapidly appearing on the affected side? This has been progressively getting worse over the last 24 hours and I'm unsure if this is normal as not long been diagnosed and I'm waiting for my appointment at the lymphodema clinic. 

• Hi,

Are the spots red, rashlike and is the skin hot? It's not common to suddenly get spots appearing with lymphoedema but you will be more susceptible to getting cellulitis - an infection which occurs quickly and needs treating immediately with antibiotics. This link explains about & shows images of what cellulitis looks like www.healthline.com/.../cellulitis

If you are worried that this may be the case (especially if you have had surgery recently) please contact NHS Direct for advice re seeing a GP or they may advise you to go to A&E with it being the weekend. Do not leave it until Monday as cellulitis can trigger sepsis in some people. Please let us know how you get on,

Angie (lymphoedema patient)

• Hi Angie, 

Thank you so much for responding. I went to the walk in centre this morning and seen an out of hours gp, I sometimes feel like gps don't really know what to do with cancer related problems. My initial thought was cellulitis but he said shingles then changed mind and diagnosed a follicle infection.  

The spots are red and I also have a rash and since leaving the walk in centre more and more are appearing. I was prescribed anti biotics earlier and have taken my first one and will wait a few hours and if I see no improvement I will go back.

kathryn  

•  

Hi Kathryn,

Welcome to our forum. I have had Bilateral Lymphoedema for the past 9 years and attend a Lymphoedema clinic regularly. I have never had any spots despite having both arms covered with bandages or elastic sleeves all of the time.

I am glad that you saw a GP in the walk in centre and, that he seems to have ruled out Cellulitis. Don't expect miracles from your antibiotics after only taking one tablet. It can take up to 4 days for them to start taking effect. Do you have a phone or a digital camera handy? It can be helpful to the doctor if you take a few photos of the rash at different stages.

If you continue to find more and more appearing, certainly go back again. Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on. We are always here for you.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• I agree with Jolamine, the antibiotics will take some time to kick in. What type are they? Fluoxacillin is the one used to treat cellulitis & similar infections so if you are on these then that's a bonus. Taking photos of any changes (good or bad) is good in case you have to go back to the doctor. I suggest that, should it start to get worse and/or you start to run a temperature & get the shivers you immediately see a doctor.

Sadly GPs don't often know much about lymphoedema (some consultants don't)! So go with your gut feeling if your'e unhappy and get a second opinion. If you are stable tomorrow it may be helpful to contact your lymphoedema nurse if you have one. Good luck and please let us know how you get on,

Angie

• Thank you Jolamine and Angie. 

it is Flouxacillin that I was prescribed, been taking since yesterday morning. The rash and spots have been getting worse by the hour, been back to my local hospital who unfortunately don't have the best reputation.

The doctor said she thinks it is cellulitis and to just keep on with the antibiotics. My breast care team are amazing so I will contact them tomorrow, it's unfortunate this happened on a weekend! 

Thank you both so much for your response, it's nice to hear from people who also have lymphodema as it seems to be a bit of a grey area and I'm unsure what I should or shouldn't be doing. 

• Hi Kathryn,

Hopefully the antibiotics will kick in but if it continues to get worse, rather than stabilise before the tablets take effect, tell your breast care team first thing in the morning as you may need to go in for IV antibiotics instead. Sometimes oral antibiotics don't work fast enough, especially if the dose isn't strong enough. If you start with the rigors get yourself back to A&E as you don't want it to progress to sepsis. I fortunately started with cellulitis whilst still in hospital after my node clearance. They put me on oral tablets but they weren't strong enough & it was progressing. So the next day I was hooked up to 3 days of IV antibiotics and then sent home with a weeks lot of 3 different antibiotics! 

Crossing fingers you start to feel better soon,

Angie

• Hi Angie,

Oh dear, as if you didn't have enough to contend with after a big op like that  but yes it is fortunate that you were in the right place. 

Have you had cellulitis since? I have been reading up and looks like I need to be more careful as this seems to have started from a tiny cut. Any advice on how you manage the effected area would be great. 

It does seem to be getting worse but I'm fine within myself, no fever etc.  I'll feel a lot better tomorrow when I can talk to the breast care team. 

Kathryn 

• Hi Kathryn,

Mine was due to the drain being in for so long. Once the drain was removed & the hole started to heal, along with the antibiotics, I was fine. I have to be careful to keep my leg clean & moisturised (E45). Cuts and knocks must be cleaned & treated immediately & so far I haven't had cellulitis again (10 years)!

I hope today shows some improvement & your team give you good advice.

Angie