Lung Cancer Stage 4 Skeletal and Liver

HI,

My dad has just been told he has lung cancer with evidence of skeletal and a small probable liver metasises or however you spell it! 

He's due a biopsy this week to see what type and then we get results next week and hopefully a treatment plan.

He's in generally good health, well to look at and hasnt really had any of the symptoms except three occasions of coughing up blood in the last 2 months. 

I know eeryone is different and no two cancers behave the same in people but wondered if anyone had any idea if he will be offered treatment and if so what his expectancy could be?

I'm due to be married in July and obviously want him to walk me down the aisle so if its not likely then I would want to bring it forward.

Also is there anywhere for me to get some assistance with getting him to and from treatments and someone to check in on him, my mum has early onset dementia so its really quite a struggle. 

x

• Hello Rackjw, 

Welcome to Cancer Chat though I am sorry to hear your father has been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer it must have come as a shock to you. I hope the biopsy this week will shed some light on the type and that you receive detailed results as well as a clear treatment plan. If there is anything you would like to discuss with our nurses, you can reach them on this free number 0808 800 4040 - their line is open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm. 

We have detailed information on lung cancer on this page which may be helpful to you but you are absolutely right when you say that everyone is different and therefore it is impossible for anyone here to tell you more about what treatment he might be offered and what his life expectancy could me. You will probably have a clearer idea as to what to expect after you have received the biopsy results and had a talk to his medical team about this. They will have all the results to hand and will be in the best position to tell you more and answer questions you might have. It will also be a good opportunity to mention your wedding plans and that you would really like for your dad to be able to be there to walk you down the aisle. Hopefully they will be able to offer any further insights on this. 

We have information on our site on this page on practical support that might be available. It is worth maybe investigating with your local hospital whether they have volunteer schemes in place in your local area to assist people with transportation to the hospital where the treatment is taking place. Do talk to your dad's medical team about all this and whether they can point you in the right direction. I can imagine it is a real struggle for you if your mum also has early onset of dementia and I hope you can find the practical help you need at the moment. We also have a coping practically section on our forum here it might be worth looking at.

Best wishes to you and your dad I hope you find out more very soon and that his treatment goes well. 

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator