Lung cancer

my husband has stage 4 lung cancer was told last Juy just after our wedding anniversary it was such a sthock as had no idea as as no symptons occured although he did have trouble with shoulder it was only a pet scan that revealted it, so hard to see them go down hiill in front ot you, i though i was strong but cant still get head around it not knowing how long he has is very hard just live day to day, although that is hard as he hardly wants to go out, can look after himself but takes so long to do. HE has radiotheherpy supposed to kill off some of the cells seemed to work at first but gone down hill since then, seeing the consultant totommorow so lets hope its not more bad news. it is hard for my son he cannot get his head round the fact he is slowly losing his dad, his older sister is not in the picture (we are estranged from her) so he has to cope and support me while holding down a job being married with a 6 year old son. I am my husband carer as well as his wife and now have to do everything around the home we live in a one bedroom flat in a converted house top floor with no lift have 40 staris to our flat so find it hard to do things that he used to help me with.

• Hiya, I couldn't leave your post unanswered and I'm sending you a huge hug. Have you contacted Macmillan ? They are fab and may be able to give you some practical help. Also you could apply for PIP, which used to be DLA, for some financial support. I'll have a look to see if I can find any support for your son, but mostly big love, stay strong and look after yourself x x

• If you search on the this website, not in chat, there is a section for supporting children x

• Thanks Wongster.

Here is our information on how to support children Ceil.

Welcome to Cancer Chat.

If you would like to discuss anything with our nurses you can call them on: 0808 800 4040.

They take calls Monday to Friday, 9am  to 5pm.

Calls are free from UK landlines and most mobile phones.

Best wishes

Jane

• Hi

Wanted to welcome you to the forum even though none of us would choose to join.  I found the forum when my husband was given a terminal diagnosis (cancer of the lung linings due to asbestos- mesothelioma) just six months after we had celebrated his 60th birthday. Though he was able to look after himself until the last few months it was still hard to watch a loved one going through this illness. I was his carer together with the support of two children (our daughter had a new baby during his illness as well as a six year old) but always asked for help from his palliative care team and was very grateful to his GP and wonderful district nurses who were there for us both in the more difficult days. Not too sure what your own area/medical team will be able to help with but do contact MacMillan and your GP should be able to put you in touch with local services that can give you some assistance.  One of the  hardest things my husband found was having to 'hand over' responsibilities to me (I still worked part time and carried this on throughout as this was his wish) but really learned to cope on a day to day basis as worrying in advance, I soon learned, brought added stress.

Hope you find the forum as helpful as I did (still do). Sending a virtual hug  Jules