Lung cancer?

Hi I'm new here and just woundered if anyone had any advice for me..I'm 47 y/o f..

I'm worried I have lung cancer..

This last 8 months of been losing weight without dieting.. 20 pounds up to now and I really struggle to lose weight this has never happened be four.. Also iv got this pain in my chest when I take deepbreaths in..I dont have any cough infact my chest feels clear..but it does feel tight sometimes if I breath in or lie on my right side. If i lie on my back or stomach it's fine..the pain in my chest isn't that painful and its not sharp its really hard to explain but I can deffinitly feel it.... I just had a full blood count and that was fine.. I havnt had an xray because I'm terrified of the results so I'm just googling my symptoms constantly and it keeps saying I have lung cancer.. Could anyone please be kind and tell me there symptoms or if this sounds like lung cancer..my mum just died of lung cancer 1 year ago it was awful..

Thank you in advance for any replies

Love and hugs x

• Welcome to the forum Vicky although I'm sorry for the worry your symptoms are causing.

You can find out more about the general signs and symptoms of lung cancer on our website but just like Dr Google, they are no substitute for a medical diagnosis so you will need to have another chat with your doctor about this as they're the only ones that will be able to tell you for sure if your symptoms are cause for concern.

I know your fear must be ten fold due to what happened with your mum - you have our deepest sympathies - but if you can, try and keep in mind that this doesn't necessarily mean you may have it as well as your symptoms could be an indication of many other things which aren't cancer.

Hopefully some of our members will offer their support and advice to you soon but in the meantime we're thinking of you and will have our fingers crossed you can get to the bottom of this soon.

Kind regards,

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Thank you lovely..I have braved it and phoned my Dr I have an xray booked for Monday I'm absoulutley terrifiedi really dont want to go.. but I've put it of for 5 months now..I will post my results when I get them in case other people are having simuler symptoms..

Love and hugs xxx

• Well done for getting in touch with your doctor Vicky.

I know that must have been really tough but we're all rooting for you and will be thinking of you tomorrow.

You can do this Vicky.

Kind regards,

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hi there, I'm sorry to hear about your Mum and her lung cancer which obviously is making you think you are going to be diagnosed with the same thing.  So, my husband has stage 4 lung cancer and he never had any pains at all or lost any weight, just a niggly cough, that's all, but he had smoked since age 16 and it was smoking related lung cancer.  He is now 75 and has had nearly four and a half years of treatment.  You will never put your mind at rest unless you take steps to find out what is wrong properly, not by googling.  Call your GP and discuss your symptoms with them and ask for a face to face consultation, you can request this, so don't be fobbed off.  Then if they think it needs looking into further they will start to do this.  Don't forget that stress and loss of a loved one can cause weight loss, it's how our bodies respond sometimes, stress is a factor in so many things and can cause many bodily symptoms that make you think you're extremely unwell.  Let us know how you get on and make it your priority to make that call.  Good luck, Carol x 

• Hi carol

Thank you so much for the advice..I rang my dr the other day and explained my symptoms to her and she advised me to get an xray,she also said for me to go in to see her for mY results a few days after my xray...I did say to her does she think it could be lung cancer and she said she hoped not...wasn't a very reassuring answer tbh but I understand she can't say no or yes..

I'm sorry to hear about your husband.. Its an awful deasese and I send all my love to you..

Thank you again for replying and for the advice.

Love and hugs x

• I'm pleased to be of help. Just remember that if you'd gone in with lumps in your breast and asked if it could be breast cancer you'd have had the same reply!  

• Hi again only me..yes your right carol I never thought of it like that..

Iv just been for my chest xray.. I havnt slept all night with worry.. This is going to be the worsed week of my life waiting for the results.. I asked the lady that did my xray if she could see anything bad but she said she's not allowed to tell me and that to ring my Dr at the end of the week for the results.. I'm literally having a breakdown I really don't think I can cope with all this worrie and stress till the end of the week..I know in my heart of hearts that something is really wrong..

Anyway sorry about the rant..

Take care

Love and hugs x

• So we went through the same but whatever the outcome the worrying will make you worse. Just keep busy and stay positive and you'll get to know soon. Chest pain doesn't mean cancer. Do you know most people with cancer have no pain at all before diagnosis. Stay positive if you can. Carol x

• Thank you carol.. Its just that iv read on the internet..Mr google..that pain when breathing in can be a sign of lung cancer its literally every time I take a deep breath and it hasn't gone away at all for 5 months.. And the weight loss along side the chest pain is a definite indication of some underline problem.. I struggle to lose a pound a week and I'm always dieting.. So not to be dieting and to lose 20 pounds in a short space of time is worrying especially when I eat loads aswell ..Im just so scared.. Thank you for the reassurance and kind words carol your truly a star

Love and hugs x

• Hi carol only me again

Iv just rang my dr and my xray results arnt back yet.I know I was ment to wait till Friday but this waiting is horrible.. Just a quick question do you think If there was anything sinister my results would of been sent to my Dr already?

Thank in advance

Love and hugs xxx