Lung Cancer

Hi, this is my first time posting. 

My mum has just been diagnosed with lung cancer which has spread to her liver. I'm really close to my mum so this news has broke me. My heart is shattered. I'm just looking to see if anyone has any success stories with treating this. She's 58, never had any other health problems. Thanks for reading. x

• Umm, lets see. I was diagnosed with a brain tumour early 2018, that turned out to be the spread from lung cancer. The brain tumour turned out to be operable so that was cut out, with an initial prognosis of 6 months thanks to the rest of the cancer. I turned out to be 80% suitable for immunutherapy and went straight onto pembrolizumab. 35 doses of that every 3 weeks and the tumour had shrunk down to what was probably just scar tissue. Side effects from the treatment were just about tolerable and way better than the alternative! It isn't always a death sentence, but it's still more a matter of luck than science.

Kind wishes to your Mum,
    Steve

• Thanks for replying. That's great you managed to get it removed.

It just doesn't seem real and so hard to process.

Yes I do believe it's luck.

• Hi, 

My Mother was also diagnosed with lung cancer that spread to her brain just a couple of months ago and I know what you are going through... Although it is very hard to accept and get my head around the shock and panic I feel, I found that going with my Mum to her appointments with the cancer team and asking questions really helped me. I just wrote down every single little thing I was worried about and needed to know about my Mum's cancer and took the list of questions with us when she attended her first appointment at the cancer centre and the doctor and nurses were incredibly helpful and patient and answered as many of my questions as they could at the time.

McMillan have also been a great help for Mum and I. 

I wish you and your Mum all the best