Lump in thigh.

Hello everyone, 

Im 24, a mum of 2 boys ages 3 and 1.

About 2 weeks ago i discovered a sizeable lump in my thigh, i can see it all the time, but its much more pronouced when im climbing stairs or tensing my leg muscles. Its not directly under the skin, but it seems to feel like its more underneath or inside the muscle of my thigh. It doesn't hurt, its hard and does not move. 

I went to my GP who said "Firstly, its your leg. Not much can go wrong there" he then said i think you might have torn your muscle. I laughed slightly, because i explained i dont drive, and i cant get out my house because of that. I also have 2 young boys to raise so i get no time to go out excersizing, there is not a lot of reasons why i could of torn my muscle, besides im sure i would have noticed as i believe that would be painful?

He agreed and said yes it would have been painful so it might not be muscular. He has refferred me for a ultrasound to see what this lump is. But the ultrasound appointment isnt for another 2 weeks and im quite worried about leaving it so long if it is something sinistar. 

I don't know how long it takes for a tumor to grow, if it is a tumor thinking in worst case senario. But this lump appears to have gotten a bit bigger in the last 2 weeks and its getting unnerving.

Can anyone relate to this story and tell me what happened? what was your outcome? thank you

• Hi AmummyLife2. Welcome to the forum.

I'm not a doctor and I have no medical qualifications.

Most lumps turn out to be harmless. I believe a cyst can appear and grow quite quickly, but they're usually nothing to worry about.  

Despite that, you've done the right thing seeing your GP and your GP has done the right thing referring you for an ultrasound. Unfortunately, two weeks is a typical time to wait.

It's probably nothing serious, but if it changes significantly then get back quickly to your GP. 

• Hello,

How did you get on in the end? I'm going through similar at the moment. There is not much reassuring info online .

• Hi, I'm going through the same thing. Last week a lump appeared on my outer thigh. It was sore and warm to touch and about the size of the palm of my hand. The doctor agreed it was strange and has given me antibiotics incase it's an infection. It's still there, not really sore but a bit achy.  I'm worried sick as I don't see how I could have got an infection there and surely I would have a temperature? If it's still there next week I have to go in for an ultrasound. Everything online points to a sarcoma and I agree there's very little reassurance :( please let me know how you get on x

• Hi tpb. Welcome to the forum.

I should start out by saying that I'm not a doctor and I have no medical qualifications. But I have been on this site for many years.

The incidence of type of cancer is measured by the number of cases per year per 100,000 people.  Rare cancers occur at the rate of 1 or 2 per 100,000.  But sarcomas occur at the rate of 1 or 2 PER MILLION.  That's not just rare, that's very rare.  On the other hand, there are plenty of common and far less dangerous conditions that can cause a lump, such as infection, or cyst, or lipoma.  If you do have infection, then they can pop up anywhere for no apparent reason, and they don't necessarily make you feel unwell or give you a temperature. 

This why it's usually not a good idea to consult Dr. Google. You end up convincing yourself that you've got some very rare, but serious, condition.  In general, most lumps turn out to be harmless and there's no reason to think that yours will be the exception. 

• I have recently found one on my thigh, have you been to GP yet if so what have they said it could be as I'm worrying sick x

• Hi

I have the exact symptoms! I'm 48,about 2-3weeks ago I was stretching my legs out on sofa and found a large ( about a cupped hand) hard lump on the top of the front of my right thigh. My left thigh was fine, I'd forgotten about it until today when I felt it again, it don't hurt but it's there. I've booked a GP appointment for Monday but I'm concerned now after doing research 

Have you seen the GP 

• Hi there....I am 49 and found exactly the same on my right thigh. I went to the doctor last week. They don’t think it’s a lymph node because of where it is. Although I found another smaller deeper lump just under this one and also found a small one on my inner forearm. The doctor did bloods and they came back fine. Not sure what they were looking for. Have also been referred for ultrasound and going for this tomorrow. Will keep you posted 

• Hi 

I'm going to hospital today for scan or x-ray but today I'm feeling positive that it won't be anything? My mind keeps flipping from dread to positive! Not sure if that what others with similar conditions go through but for today I'm positive and can't wait to go and get it done with

• Hi yes I know what you mean....my mind is the same. Hope all went well today

• Hi well good news! I have had an ultrasound scan and they said it's lipoma, they said IV had it a long time but now it's growing so they want to remove it. I do have a MRI scan still to have so will ask questions there as was just relieved to hear it's nothing sinister. However it's very big and really hard so it must be quite deep routed which is not the norm for a limpoma x