Lump in neck

Posting again as I don't think anyone has seen my last post. 

I have a grape sized lump in the right side of my neck, it's been there for almost approaching 4 weeks now, I've had blood tests done and they've all come back clear, I've pressed on having a ultra sound scan for peace of mind, however I've been told the wait time is 6-8 weeks which is frustrating. 

I have no symptoms at all apart from a lump in my neck, would blood cancer show in a blood test? 

im so worried, I'm trying to keep off google because that's not helping at all, everything is just saying I've got cancer. 

I was also wondering if anyone had any experiences with neck lumps and them turning out to be a benign lump of some sort? Just hoping to read something positive, although happy to hear any stories of anyone whose gone through something similar. 

im losing sleep, not eating, not wanting to go to work etc... it's literally ruining me, worrying I may have cancer. 

I've also heard lymph nodes well due to fighting infections/bacteria however ive not recently been sick, im never actually unwell, im assuming I would know if I had an infection? 

sorry for waffling on - hope this reaches the right people x 

• Hi.

I'm going through the exact same experience.

I found a lump on the left side of my neck about 4 weeks ago as well. I went to the GP a few days later and she said it was my lymph nodes. A week later I felt the lump a little bigger and went back to the same GP. She then confirmed it is definitely a thyroid lump as you can feel it move as I swallowed. My bloods also came back fine (bloods tests can not determine cancer) so I have been referred to ENT for an ultrasound scan. I was told I should get an appointment in the post in 2-3 weeks time. It's only been a week so hopefully I will get an appointment soon. 

It is such a worrying time. Its all I can think about. I hope you get that appointment soon! 

Rachel xx

• Hi Rachel

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my message, I was thinking nobody would see it! 

sorry you are going through the same experience as me, it's an awful time isn't it, especially when you've noticed it's gotten slightly bigger. You'd think anything to do with lumps and bumps would be a faster process, having to wait weeks is frustrating. 

im really annoyed as my dr said lymphoma and certain types of blood cancers would get picked up in a blood test which relaxed me slightly when they said all my bloods were ok. 

do you have any symptoms other than the lump? 

I hope you get an appointment soon!! Please keep me updated? I've got everything crossed for you. 

Mel xx

• Hi Melissa, 

Just wanted to jump in and give you some reassurance! My neck is FULL of lumps, started around 5 years ago when I had a big lymph node come up with was clearly visible. I got urgently referred to ENT where they found multiple swollen lymph nodes. I had a biopsy and a PET scan (which showed lymph nodes swollen in my chest and groin). I thought for sure I had cancer! 

But I didnt! My biopsies came back benign, and the lumps seemed to eventually over the course of a year or so reduce in size but they are still there. I understand your worry, I'm on this forum now as my health anxiety is high at the moment as one feels bigger recently. 

Moral of the story is dont panic! Yes, lumps don't come up for no reason but there's so many reasons they could come up like illness we don't realise we are fighting, or an immune condition. It was discovered I actually had an autoimmune disease (lupus) which cause mine! 

Let me know how it all goes and happy to chat if you have any questions!

Chloe 

• Hi Chloe 

Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to reply to me, it definitely gives me reassurance. 
    sorry to hear your health anxiety is high at the moment, there's nothing worse ️ 

I've booked a private scan in on Tuesday so will post back on the form when I've got my results. 

thank you again for the reassurance, it's nice to read something positive on here for a change ️ X 

• Yeah, thyroid cancer is a lot different from a blood cancer. It also rarely has symptoms.

Two important things to remember about thyroid cancer. The first is that nodules are common and the vast majority - over 90%, I think - are not cancer and are completely harmless.

The second thing is that thyroid cancer isn't really what one imagines when one hears the word "cancer". The most common forms are very rarely life threatening and treatment is not ongoing. You have your thyroid removed and are back to normal life within weeks.

Of course, nobody wants any form of cancer and it's hard not to worry that you might be the one in 50 for whom it's more serious. But it's not likely to mean long term treatment or anything.

• Hi Melissa,

Youre very welcome! 

How did your scan go?

Chloe x

• Hi Chloe, 

my scan went really well, there's no signs of cancer in the lymph node which is great, they said lymph nodes can swell due to severe stress which is probably the likelihood of mine! 

So glad I paid privately, definitely worth it if you're suffering with health anxiety. 

hope you've been ok! Xx 

• Hi Melissa,

Thats great news! Bet you feel a million times better now? 

Yes I heard that before as well as think thats what keeps mine swollen! Also if you prod and touch them to much you can cause them to become scar tissue and they never go down! Probably also my issue haha! 

Really happy for you- try and put it behind you now!

All the best,

Chlow x