Lump in neck.

Hi everyone! i'm a 22 year old female who went to the doctors 6 months ago due to having sore throat and struggling to breathe to which the doctor gave me antibiotics  and told me it was just a viral infection but at the time i also found a lump on the right side of my neck just a little past my ear which the doctor measured and assured me it was probably just a swollen gland due to being unwell and told me to come back a couple of months after if it didn't go down. The lump is a pea sized i would say, it's hard and i have no pain from it and i can move it around in between my fingers. 

Due to covid I wasn't able to book back into the doctors about this lump, I don't think it has grown but it's been 6 months and it still hasn't gone so i've been extremely worried and rang my doctor today, he said as it's been this long he's booked me in for a blood test next monday and even if it comes back okay he would still like to investigate it due to how long ive had it, i can't stop thinking about it and it's torture as i have at least another week to wait i have made myself sick from worrying. I was just curious if anyone else has ever had a similar problem? 

• Hello, sorry to hear about your troubles. I'm no doctor but I believe if you can move the lump around then it's probably not worst kind of lump. I have got a lump in my neck and I'm being tested for lymphoma.  I'm to believe that lymphoma is a hard lump that does not move. I could be wrong  so my advice is to speak to the doctors or maybe use the Internet and ask that question.  

All the best for you and i hope everything is clear. X

• Hi Ellie,

There are many reasons why you could have a lump and its not automatically something to worry about.

You should get tested though and thats good you are going to be seen, I would imagine by an Ocologist to see whats going on and hopefully easily remedied.

Please try and stay off Google as there is so much misinformation and most of it out of date.

Stick to NHS/Cancer Reseach /McMillan and plenty of us here to help you but you will guarantee to find something to diagnose yourself with if you go on Google.

Leave it to the experts as they know what they are doing and wont be long till your seen

Try and stay as positive as you can, as unusual given your age, to be anything too sinister but again, better to get checked for peace of mind.

Let me know how you get on or if I can help anyway with any more questions you have

Kind regards

Ian

• Hi Ellie, Yes, difficult not to be worried. I'm not a medic but know that NHS guidelines say that any neck swellings need to be checked out thoroughly if they do not go down in a few weeks. So your doctor is following this. This doesn't mean that the risk is high, by the way. It just means it needs to be checked out. 

You are very young. I'm sure you'll be fine. But it's great that the experts are checking it out. I wish you the very best. Harry

NOTE: Google is not always bad. OK, there are scare stories out there. But if it is Google that made you go back to your doctor, because your lump has not gone away, then Google has done you a service. As your doctor has explained, that lump has to be checked out.