Lump in breast

Hi,

I have a beautiful, kind and loving girlfriend who I'm very worried about right now. 9 months ago she found a lump in her breast. She had a biopsy and was told it was nothing to worry about. The biopsy hit a nerve and caused her a lot of pain and bruising at the time. She was told the lump would get better on its own but over the last 9 months it has got bigger. We assumed it was just scar tissue from the biopsy but she made an appointment yesterday just to be sure and at the appointment the nurse expressed concern, mentioned treatment options and told her they needed to do another biopsy, which has been booked in for tommorow. She also said her lymph nodes were a bit swollen, though this could be due to an ear infection she's had recently.

I'm very worried. I just don't undertand how the first biopsy could have given no reason for concern, and yet now there is reason for concern. I thought biopsies were conclusive? I'm also worried that it might have spread to her lymph nodes. Is this serious?

I'm not sure why I'm posting. I'm just scared and want to hear from anyone who's been through anything similar. Any response would be appreciated. Thank you.

• Hello Johnny89, 

Your girlfriend is very lucky to have you by her side at the moment as you seem to be incredibly thoughtful and caring and I am sure she appreciates it. It is hard to know exactly why she is having to go through another biopsy but it's good that she didn't have to wait long to have it done again. How did it go for her yesterday? 

Try not to worry or anticipate anything if you can or to look anything up online as it will only make you more anxious. Hopefully you will get some definite answers very soon and I keep everything crossed that it will be reassuring news. 

I hope that you will hear from others who have been through this before and that they will share their experience with you. 

Best wishes, 

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator