Lost my wife to a type 4 Glioblastoma in 2 weeks!

Hi so my wife was recently suffering from migraines, which wasn't uncommon, but this time they lasted a few days.   We called the GP on day 4 and later that day we thought she was suffering from a stroke, due to her suffering from facial paralysis on her left side of her face.

she was admitted to hospital and after a CT scan she was diagnosed with a brain tumour.  4 days later she had surgery to remove the tumour, which was later diagnosed as a stage 4 Glioblastoma.   Sadly, she also suffered a stroke and we were told she would not be able to have any further treatment as her condition was not strong enough and she then passed away just 7 days later on the 30th November.

due to the whole covid situation I wasn't allowed to see her when she was at her most conscious and only saw her when she was in an induced coma and when she passed away.

we have a 3 year old daughter and I'm just lost.      We didn't get to discuss what was happening.    She had no real symptoms, and when she showed her first visible symptom she died just 11 days later.

they said it was a high grade tumour and it grew in 4-6 weeks.

my whole world was ripped away in less than 2 weeks and I just can't comprehend what has happened.

• Hello Bistokid79, 

I am so sorry for your loss. How tragic that you lost your wife in just the space of 2 weeks. What a shock it must be to you. Sincere condolences from all of us on the Cancer Chat team. It must be extra hard for you at the moment during the festive season and I just wanted you to know that our thoughts are with you, your little girl and your family during this difficult time. 

Best wishes, 

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Dear Bistokid,

I feel your pain. It was just around a year ago when my wife was diagnosed with stage 4 GBM. She had surgery then chemo and radio, but nothing worked and the tumours became larger. She survived until 9 July this year. I was able to care for her which gives me some comfort, but I struggle through the days now. Then in October I lost my father who had been sick with end stage Parkinson's. I hadn't had time to process Loss then another. It's 2:30 in the morning and I'm on this forum crying whilst reading your post. Your poor wife went really fast and not having had time to discuss anything is excruciating. Please be very strong and take your time getting into a routine again as it's going to be a long process. The covid situation does not make it easier, I have hardly left home since July, but I found God again and he gets me through the days. You have your daughter and your wife's memory is alive in her and she will give you the courage and support and you will give her the love and support also. You will get through this, it's just going to be a very difficult time for a while, but after every difficulty comes ease so be patient and calm and take your time. 
    I am Thinking and praying for you to make your situation easier.

Z

• I am so very sorry, it was so quick that all this happened. I can imagine the pain you are going through. Your daughter will keep you going, even though it's going to be difficult. With Covid as well, it is just a cruel situation, when you can not see your loved one. My husband died back in June, so I know the hurt and pain. Just take one day at a time, and you must look after yourself, for your daughters sake. 

• I'm so very sorry for your pain..... you are in shock and what has happened to you is terrible.    Be kind to yourself and gentle with yourself.   Only do what is right for you and your daughter.    Grief emotions will overwhelm you but try and take one day at at time ..... you are in shock and trauma.    There is no right or wrong about how your grief needs to be expressed ...... I am so very sorry.  

• I am realy sorry to hear about your wife,My wife died of a Sudden heart attack on November 14th 2020 aged 67 and my daughter died age 25 on the 2nd of feb 2021 of a brain tomour .I am 74 years old and feel so alone now.I hope it all works out  good for you and theres light at the end of the tunnel you and your daughter.

• I am realy sorry to hear about your wife,My wife died of a Sudden heart attack on November 14th 2020 aged 67 and my daughter died age 25 on the 2nd of feb 2021 of a brain tomour .I am 74 years old and feel so alone now.I hope it all works out  good for you and theres light at the end of the tunnel you and your daughter.

• I'm am so sorry for your loss losing your wife and daughter must be absolutely horrible I lost my wife on the 22nd of December 2020 she is 39 taken by breast cancer let me have a two-year-old boy and a nine-year-old but losing two people so close horrible my heart goes out to you

• Thanks Chris for your reply,I am sorry to hear you have losted your wife at such a young age of 39.I hope you and your family are coping well and life gets better for all of us.Its such a big life changer for all of us and so sudden,all my best wishes for all of you ,kind regards Peter.

• Hi Peter , I would like to join Chris in saying how sorry I am for your double loss. It must be heartbreaking to loose your wife and daughter. I don't know how you manage to carry on , but we have to . My wife died July 2019 age 68. And 19 months on I still find it hard , I think the loneliness is the worst part. 
    Take care. 
    Mike. 

• Thanks Mike,I am sorry to hear you have lost your wife in July 2019,I am finding it very hard to carry on and my life seems so pointless now.And you are right loneliness is the worst part and having memories every where you look around the house and the area.I am afaind the old world we use to have is gone now and the only way forward is keep active and try and make a different world with out them,I know this will realy hard after living with some one for 48 years.I hope and pray we will be able to except the loss of our love ones one day and try and get some happyness back in to our lives in time.Take care Mike and try to keep busy to take your mind off these aweful events,kind regards Peter.