Lost my parents to cancer 8 weeks apart of each other ;(

Hi Everyone

Firstly for anyone that has been diagnosed with it or anyone trying to deal with loved ones having it sending all my love and thoughts to you all just now.  Just wondering has anyone else ever lost their parents to cancer so suddenly and so quickly apart? I struggle most days good days and bad days really as they were my best friends and we were such a close family. My Dad got diagnosed with lung and bone cancer in May 2014 but kept stable with his treatments and positivity, then my mother got diagnosed end of Aug 2015 with lung brain and bone cancer and she passed away early November 2015, then my Dad gave up and went January 2016.  To bury my parents 8 weeks apart 2 funerals over again opening up the horrific wounds of crying anxiety stress heartache is just unbelievable to explain. Im in my 30's and my parents were only in late 60's and I do treasure all the love and time and fun I had with them but I just struggle, even typing this its very hard. I find people want to understand and want to be there for you but will never truely understand if you have lost somone or what the person that is dianosed is going through as they will want to put on a brave face for their loved ones.  Not sure if anyone has any advice, i know everyone is different as to how they deal with their situations, but any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated  xx

• Hi Fiona2017, 

I'm so sorry to hear that you lost both parents to cancer in such a short space of time and I just wanted to offer you my sincerest condolences at this time. I can't begin to imagine how difficult that must have been for you but I'm glad you've joined as there are many members who will. If you head over to the coping with loss section of our forum you will find many discussions from members who are going through the same experience so do join in on any that strike a cord with you as they are very supportive and will offer as much advice as they can to help you through this.

I have included some information about coping with grief which I hope will help too but if you are looking for further support and advice it may be a good idea to get in touch with cruse bereavement.

Kind Regards,

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator 

• Thank you very much I appreciate the reply x

• Hi I am very sorry to have read your post and sympathise with what you have gone through. I lost my in-laws 2 years ago and like you only 8 weeks apart. My mother in law died to cancer and her husband just gave up. Six months later my mum was diagnosed with ovarian cancer and the latest prognosis is 6 months. I am at a complete loss and sometimes struggled with the daily stuff. All I can suggest is to stay strong, it's most likely what your parents would have wanted, although hard at times. I know it's good to talk too
  • Hi Fiona,

I am very sorry for your loss. 

My Mam died from cancer in March 2019 after a very long painful battle. My Dad died 8 weeks to the day from a heart attack. He was on life support for 3 days. In the space of 8 weeks I waited around the bed to watch both of my parents pass away. They were only 62 and 64.

It is coming up to their anniversaries and I am really struggling. 

How are you coping now as I know it's a couple of years? 

Thanks, 

Carol