Lost my dad

Hi all

I lost my dad yesterday after a short battle with aml, he was diagnosed after being rushed to hospital on the 1st of March this year.  He then spent the next 3 months in hospital having 2 rounds of intensive chemo and fighting infection after infection.  He was moved to the hospice Tuesday this week and passed yesterday with my mum, myself and my sister by his side.

I feel so lost.... I know he is better off now as he was in a sorry state towards the end, but I just wasn't ready for him to go.  I am glad I was there with him and he knew how loved he was, but I also am struggling with seeing my dad die.  I spent every single day by his side whilst he was away from and woke up this morning feeling like I had no purpose in life.  I would have done the hospital run every day for eternity if it meant I got to keep him.

I miss him so much

Beth

• Oh Beth I am so very sorry,my heart goes out to you.

I lost my amazing mum who was my best friend just over 2 months ago and I am still struggling with not having her around so I can completely understand your feelings at this time. The only advice I can give you is to be kind to yourself and give yourself time,cry,scream and do whatever you have to. I can't say it gets easier but I can tell you that you will learn to deal with your emotions and start to try and live your life again.

if you ever want to talk I'm here. Big hugs and stay strong my lovely xxx

• Dear Beth,

Sorry about your dad. Condolences from all of us at Cancer Chat at this sad time.

Best wishes,

Renata, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hi Charlotte, thank you for your response, it is much appreciated. I am so sorry to hear about your mum and I too am here if you would like to chat. We have been today to see the registrar and meet with the funeral director and I still can't help but feel like it isn't real. I am still waiting for the realisation to kick I big hugs, Beth xx
  • Many thanks Renata, much appreciated xx

• I lost my dad on Sunday and saw him die. I know how you feel. he too was at a hospice. Although he was dying I neve actually expected him to die. It all feels so hopeless now and that this pain will never go away

• I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad. My Dad passed away 16 years ago this year. I just wanted to echo what BethR1 has said and add a little to it. I still hugely miss my Dad at times and still cry. However at some point you will begin to think back about him with fondness and remember all of the happy times. I know it sounds cliched but time really is a healer and the pain does go away. Don't feel bad about this. I know that my Dad would never have wanted me to be miserable for my whole life. I also remember feeling a sense of relief after the funeral was over (although the day itself was horrible.)

Please let me know if I can help you with anything else. Emma xxxx

• Griefstruck I am so sorry you are going through this too, I am finding the pain unbearable today, but good to know there are others here to talk to xxx

• Hi Emma, thank you for your message, it has given me some hope that the pain will ease a little one day.  I am really struggling today,  finding it hard to deal with the funeral arrangements and all that goes with it.  I am trying to shield my mum, but I think it is to my own detriment.  We have the funeral next Monday and I am dreading it so much, I wasn't ready for him to go an  I don't feel ready to say goodbye xxx

• I'm sorry for your loss. I've been through this a year and a half ago and it is still so hard to face life without my beloved wife but I tell you, your dad will live deep in your heart and soul and, though life might never be the same from now on, this will help you carry on. My heart goes out to you.

Regards

Joe Canelas

• Joe, thank you for your message and I sorry for the loss of your wife.

Your words mean a lot x