Lost my dad 22/1/23

I am broken... Thankfully i have brothers and sisters to lean on, but i really need my dad... My dad was diagnosed with nasalphaynx cancer just before new year after being rushed to hospital early hours of xmas day with a nose bleed. We visited every single day, bought him anything he needed. And Spent all visiting hours with him. He loved us all so dearly. His wish was to be brought home so if he did pass, he would pass in his home as he was terrified of dying alone. We managed this.. every day since xmas day when he got put in hospital i have cried.. every memory, every photo every smell i cry... But 2 days ago i woke up and I cant cry anymore. I don't feel the same heartache when i see his photos. I still feel pain but not the gut wrenching struggling to breathe or see through the tears pain. Like i did before. I am struggling to remember my dad, his voice mainly.. and I don't know why my mindset literally changed over night i want to cry i can feel it but for whatever reason i just cant. I am so scared i am forgetting him already and we havent even had his funeral yet. I have a thousand thoughts through my head at once i feel guilt, pain, shame, anger , sad all at. Once what's wrong with me why cant i cry anymore why am i forgetting already ️

• Hi Baloozie,

im so sorry to hear of your Dads passing. I lost my Dad suddenly in 2021, it still sometimes doesn't feel real and will always feel traumatic and truly life changing.

it's still very early days. Take what you need, and do what you can and try not to stress on the rest. Emotions will be like a rollercoaster, try not to read into these things too much, you'll just go through the grieving process in the way you need tools but I know as a parent myself, all I want is for my children to be happy and do what is right for them, but not to forget me and hope that I've taught them well enough to be okay without me. It won't bring me back, and despite all my longing for my Dad; it won't bring him back either. But in time, while there will always be sadness (a mark of our strong bond), the love surpasses it somehow.

I always end up thinking, what an amazing Dad we must have had for him to have left such a mark on us xx

• Thank you for your reply i feel like i am loosing myself. I haven't lost anyone close to be ever, every family member who has passed, has passed whilst i was young. So don't remember them. I feel so traumatised that the first person i lose is my dad. He was literally at my house every day i have a son who idolised him and i have all these horrible thoughts of what if he ever goes through that with me. He doesn't have a any brothers or sisters to lean on. (Having more kids isn't an option) i feel so helpless for the future.

• Hello Baloozie,

Im very sorry for your loss. 

I lost my lovely dad on 15th November 2022, 8 weeks after a cancer diagnosis. My dad is my best friend, we saw each other several times a day. He was my favourite person in the world and I feel lost without him.

I just wanted you say that what you are experiencing is everything I experienced and continue to experience. I also feel worried that I am forgetting things about my dad but I don't think this is possible. My dad deteriorated rapidly after diagnosis and it was very much survival mode and trying to help and care for dad. I think losing a parent so quickly causes shock and trauma and when this first happened feelings of guilt about dad's final weeks constantly played on my mind. I think this stopped me accessing my dad and remembering life before he was unwell like his voice, movements and happy memories.

Please know you are not alone. I am two and a half months after losing my dad and it is very difficult. I am keeping busy, feeling whatever I feel and trying to honour him by keeping moving like he wanted. 

Xx

• Thank you very much for your reply it's so comforting to know i am not alone in these feelings my dad was selfless as i am sure yours was too and i have every faith he is finding comfort knowing i am not teary as much. Just really hope i manage to find my own peace throughout it if at all possible xx

• Sending hugs and I can feel your pain. My Dad passed on 25/01/23. 9 days ago. It's like a pain I've never felt. Some days I rnt cried. Today it's hit me again and I'm sad and down again. It's like a rollarcoaster . Up and down all time. 

• Most certainly is a rollercoaster, i cant sit still, I can't eat properly whenever i try eat i feel poorly. I am lucky if i sleep an hour or so a night. My heart feels like it's stopped the whole world doesn't make sense anymore. I will never look at life the same way again. Xx

• Hi Oreotrio

ive been following some of your postS on here and wanted to reach out to you. My Dad passed on 19/1 and it's his funeral on Friday- over 4 weeks after his passing. 
    he was diagnosed on 28th dec and given 6-12 months but his decline was really rapid and he only lasted 23 days after diagnosis. 
    he was my absolute world and I am utterly devastated. 
    I don't have anything to say to you that can make it better but I wanted to let you know that I'm with you- I know how you feel xxx

• Firstly, I would like to say I'm so sorry on the loss of your dad. I recently lost my mum on the 17 January 2023. My mum had more frequent hospital visits in the last months and like you I visited nearly every single day until she passed away. Grief isn't linear and every emotion you are feeling is valid. Your dad will always be with you as he is part of who you are, I hope you find some comfort in that. When I am struggling I always think what would my mum do and go from there. Also, taking one day at a time and having the support of your family and friends helps. 

Sarah xx 

• Hi Jo  thank you for your reply . Sorry for your loss. Everyone keeps saying they will feel better after funeral. Which is on Monday 20th Feb. I'm not so sure. Just feel like that just finalises it. It's awful isn't it . Like life will never be the same again. Feel abandoned and empty most of the time. Time also . Time is suppose to heal. Keep telling myself everyone goes through this so must get over it . Hard to see how . Even with my own family sat with me. I feel alone. 

• Hi

lm so sorry for the loss of your Dad,l lost my wonderful husband four months ago to a diagnosis of 24 days he had no symptoms just one he was off his food for two to three weeks the cancer they found shows no symptoms till it's stage 4 when it's onset is so quick you just think they never even got the chance to fight it.Grief is such a hard road and it takes time to come to terms with everything it brings with it know that l am thinking of you and l shall hold you in my thoughts life is a funny one it never prepares us for goodbyes.