Losing my hair

I'm sad losing my hair , I always had a fine but thick head of hair. I'm amazed that it has come out so quickly, 2 weeks after my first chemo. 
Really hoping I can get it cut short tomorrow as it's not pleasant to have hair falling out everywhere. It's a weird feeling and the top of my scalp is slightly sore. May be good idea to get a good soft hairbrush tomorrow. 

I also have a sore mouth, ulcer on my tongue. Another side effect that I was told about. The nurses suggested salt water gargle and I also have mouthwashes and am  cleaning my teeth frequently. 
I will just get over all this trauma ready to be blasted again again with more FEC chemo drugs on Monday.!

Lifes not a lot of fun at the moment but it's a means to an end and if I can be free from cancer it will all be worth it. Fingers crossed xx 

Silver x

• So sorry for you and what your going through. It is so tough. I've just finished 36 sessions of Radiotheraphy, for throat cancer. Lost all the hair half way up the back of my neck, and  my neck was severely badly burned and had sores and broken skin from the radiation and I haven't been able to eat properly with my tongue being so sore. It's  still cracked and no I've absolutely no taste. Severe ulcer at side of tongue too I'm told I'm one of the lucky ones. I have PTPD post traumatic pain disorder at this stage. It's a dreadful illness and no mistake. Wishing you hugs and healing. 

• Hi silver, hope you're keeping warm especially when you go out (head covered especially) in this weather, you can get really soft tooth brushes so there gentler on your gums, less chance of bleeding. Glad your not feeling to bad with treatment. Your hair will grow back sometimes better than before. (maybe silver to match your name) oops. Hehe.. Good luck with your next session.....

Billy 

• We really suffer don't we. Have you finished your treatment yet? I have 3 weeks of radiotherapy after 6 cycles of chemo. I had masectomy in Dec last year. Long drawn out treatment but after Monday only 4 more chemo to go! Trying to look ahead. 
    Hope all your sores heal soon and you are on the road to recovery

Silver x 

• Just finished radiotherapy last week. Brutal hardly covers it. I'm recovering well. Lots of side effects. Wishing you the very best of luck with treatment. 

• Hi silver, speak to someone as it may be thrush.  My husband ended up with thrush because of the chemo and steroids, 

Stay strong, x

• Hello Silver,

just to say I have been thinking of you this weekend. You have stayed in my mind because you have expressed quite a few things that have particularly gelled with me. 

Think I have said I lost my hair about 8 years ago to alopecia. It came on very suddenly and went completely over about a month It must be worse though losing hair to chemo. All I can say is it will grow back but this treatment time must be very tough. I can’t imagine. 

What I want to say is something about this  thing called vanity. I have it too but hadn’t actually realised it until I was diagnosed!! What I look like was always very important. Clothes (and make up) were ‘up there’ in importance. Now I am not so sure they are.  I have learnt that ‘making the effort’ to look ok is helpful. Feeling sad about what used to be and what IS now isn’t worth the aggravation. It’s been an effort for me to accept this but I feel cancer has helped me over the angst. I am not what I was but what I am now is still lovely in differing ways!! My friends see me as courageous (I am so not!) and caring (I am, but less than others might think?!)  funny (I am through a kind of inherited family madness!) and loyal (I am, end of) These are qualities I have always aspired to but never understood that people stand by you because of them  No one had mentioned the polka dot dress I dieted to get into for a wedding(??!!)  What WAS I thinking?  The navy number I loved would have done just as well!!! 

I am rambling on but I am trying to say this cancer road has made me more thoughtful/mindful of ‘character’ and of the ability to stand up and bloody fight my way through this crap. When you say things I hear that stance from you too Silver. It’s coming from you in a strong and defiant place. I am sure it’s healthy but it’s also beautiful/graceful and SO alive despite it all. 

I know you are going through a hellish time right now. Hold onto to that inner strength that you so obviously have.  Look forward to that puppy and weekends away. That time will arrive and you will be ready and looking a million dollars!! 

I am thinking of you. Go well. 

Kebbs x 

PS. Apologies.  This IS a note to you posted in the wrong place I am sure. Sorry. I don’t get this site that well.  

• Thats a nice reply, thank you. I am mentally preparing myself for chemo tomorrow, my 2nd cycle. Cancer is strange in that the treatment to make you better makes you ill, its the wrong way round! My hair is just a fuzz now and the bald patches are beginning to show through. Not a pretty sight. When I looked in the mirror yesterday I looked at an old lady, but my wig and makeup helped tremendously, ready to face the outside world. My hope is that in a few months time my hair will grow back. It is tough this treatment and your alopecia must have been hard for you. It is a sunny day, albeit cold, so Im going in the garden to plant some Foxgloves, my therapy! I do think Cancer has some upsides, if only to make one more compassionate for anyone going through this.

Silver x

• Yes it’s certainly a gruelling time ahead for you. Hold on. Despite this very tough call you have people who care for you and a garden to tend on your ‘better’ days. I don’t know one plant from another but I do love to see a garden that’s well cared for. (I like to watch my husband do it from the safe distance of my garden chair!) 

Sending you my warmest wishes. I keep you in my mind with positive vibes sent through the ether. 

Please keep in touch when you can. 

Kebbs x x