Looks like Stage 4 now

Hi All,

Having had a stage 4 scare on Christmas Eve that was thankfully nothing, I found a lump last night.

Had an appointment already set up with my oncologist today and he was happy the lump wasn't anything, but he examined me further and found a lump in my neck that he's really not happy about.  He did say there's the tiniest chance a biopsy will come back non-cancerous but as far as he's concerned he's now planning ahead on the assumption it's cancerous and, therefore, stage 4.

Have told my husband and family.  All a bit difficult as in some ways it changes very little, although it will mean more chemotherapy.  Who knows what I do about work!!!!

I'm sure the hits have to stop at some point :D

LJxx

• Oh TwinTwo, I am so sorry.  What a bummer for the start of the New Year.  It is "gird up your loins" time again and having your life thrown into disarray if the oncologist is correct.    Any idea when you will have a definite result from the biopsy?  You can beat this but it is something you could do without.  You have put so much effort into helping others here so it is our turn to help you. I had been reading some of your recent posts but didn't really want to think this would be the outcome.  You will find you have quite a few friends here who will be rooting for you.  Annie

• Thanks Annieliz,

I'm okay I think.  I mean from stage 3C to 4A isn't that much different really, just annoyed cause I don't want to keep mucking work around and it was just coming to a 'mucking them around' end.  I didn't know how long I had and I still don't, but likely still years so it doesn't change that side of it much either!  Should be grateful really as others find they can't work at all, at least I can.  Poor oncologist though.  I've thrown him "all three googlies" as he put it.  He occasionally gets thrown 2 googlies but this is his first case of 3.  His "googlies" (I like that term :D )  are 1) BRCA2 gene mutation 2) changing from HER2- to HER2+ 3) Node involvement.  We spent the whole appointment apologising to each other.

All quite surreal when I still feel absolutely fine, in fact feel the healthiest I've ever felt.  Biopsy wise none of the breast guys are back til Monday so my oncologist is going to head to their department first thing Monday to ask them in person.  Will still take time for results though I would think, not sure how much they can be speeded up.  Although he did say he needs all the information by the end of next week as at that point he needs to decide whether we cancel radiotherapy to start more chemo or not.  He's talking about Platinum chemotherapy so that sounds fun at least.

My twin isn't taking it too well so worried about her, she's just so far away it makes it hard.  Husband's family haven't taken it too well either but at least they get to see that I still feel fine and am laughing and joking as normal.

Thanks for all your support, I do find this place amazing.  Couldn't be without it.

LJxx

• Hi there , 

Just can't add more then Annie has said ... you've done amazing on here .. and here you are , not moaning or venting ... no , your worried your put work mates out , bless ya ..so don't forget you in the equation... 

And yes think there's lots on here, that will have your back ... just put those boxing gloves back on .. and we'll all get in the ring with ya ... watch out cancer... wer comming for ya!!!! 

Chrissie xx

• Cheers Chriss,

Still fighting!

Stage 4A is a bit of a confusion now.  Stage 4 was always meant to be incurable, that was the point of stage 4, but some stage 4A are now curable.  Not that my oncologist thinks I'm going to be cured, but it does just show how much it has all changed and even if not cured we can go on and on and on and on and on and...

It's a strange but wonderful world sometimes!

Cancer certainly has its strange positives and valuing and making sure we live life is definitely one of those.

LJx

• So sorry to hear your news xxx

• Hello hun......my goodness you are such an inspiration. You have an amazing spirit and selfless attitude. I'm truly in awe. X

• Just wanted to say "good morning".  We are here for you everyday.  Because you are such a nice person  I am sure you have got a good posse wherever you are so you never need to feel alone.  Sorry about your twin; I know I cannot imagine the nature of the relationship between twins but know she will be going through this with you.  Annie

• I was so sorry to read this especially after you kindly offered support to my post which seems insignificant compared to your recent news.

I wish you the best of luck with your biopsy and results. Stay strong

xx

• Hi LJ,

More lousy news - I hope you’re feeling OK.

Being pedantic - technically staging has nothing to do with whether or not a patient has a curable or incurable condition. It is merely a description of how far it had spread. 

Many people conflate staging and curability as well as conflating Stage 4 and terminal. This is understandable but it can lead to unnecessary despondency and loss of hope. 

Obviously there’s a better chance of survival in the earlier stages, but so much depends on how fast growing an individual cancer is and how it responds to treatment. 

Wishing you a hopeful New Year -

Dave 

• So sorry to hear this, I always think of John Hartson (welsh footballer) when told that someone’s cancer has spread. His case showed stage 4 is treatable.

You appear to be taking all of this in your stride, you’re obviously a very strong woman. I really hope the node turns out to be a red herring.

x