Looking for Advice

Hi All

Had an operation to remove a Tumour last November. The post op feedback was generally good with confirmation that the cancer had not spread to the lymph nodes.  We were told the area they removed the cancer from may need treatment with radiotherapy to reduce the chance of my cancer returning.

Last December my wife and I had an appointment with a consultant to talk what we thought was about Radiotherapy the recommendation made  after an operation only to be told the unexpected news my cancer was now not curable and whats more procnosis was 12 to 18 months.  

Anyway things have not gone too bad since and generally my health has been surprisingly good except for the odd health issue that hits me now and again.  At present I am under encology with a consultant in another hospital about 20 odd miles away.  The problem is if I get ill, or start having issues with pain I have no where else to go but my GP who mostly seems to send me to A&E.  When I turn up at A&E they do the same old tests repeated on every visit, I end up spending hours waiting, then they seem to try and admit me mainly because of my Cancer when I only want treatment to help with my symtons. 

Just wondering what others do when they feel ill, are not having Chemo, is there a better way to do this, or is haveing regular visits to A&E all that is left for me and my family.

What do others do, any suggestions???

• As I noticed you haven't received a reply to your post yet, I wanted to stop by and welcome you to the forum, SteveH.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation, these visits to the A&E sounded rather like a pain. Have you tried discussing this issue with your consultant? If you haven't perhaps it is a good idea to bring up the topic the next time you see them and ask what they'd recommend.

As for suggestions, I'm linking to this post a page with general information on how to cope physically with cancer. Your consultant probably mentioned some of the tips there already but I thought it might be worth linking just in case you feel like a read.

Hopefully others who have been or are going through through a similar situation will stop by soon to give advice.

Also, feel free to give our cancer nurses and ask any question you may have. Their lines are open Monday - Friday between 9 a.m - 5 p.m on 0808 800 4040.

Best wishes,

Renata, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hi Renata

Thank you for your reply - I have brought up these issues with my consultant but he does not seem to take note or give advice even when asked.  The consultant only seems to push Chemo or Radio treatmeant that I had before and it nearly killed me, so will not have it again.

My cancer is a sarcoma, which I am told is rare and there is not a local sarcoma team so always have to travel. My monitoring and treatment centre was about 30 miles away. For any operations I had to travel to the nearest sarcoma surgery unit over 50 miles away.  Of course when I was on Chemo I did have an emergency number to call but if they thought I should come in to the unit I would have to travel about 30 miles to get there, my local hospital is 4 miles. 

Things have deloveloped since my last post and I have now been told the cancer has spread to my pancras.  My consultance says I am now at greater risk because of a stent I had for a blocked bio duck of Sepsis so must go to my A&E.  

I have been very lucky with good health generally and only the ocaisional off day.  Might see about getting referred to a local hospice, not to stay in but to have access to the help and advice that I need.  Thank you for suggesting talking to your cancer nurse, this is something I will do next time I have an episode.

Best wishes

SteveH