Living with cancer

After two sessions  of pembrolizumab  my liver has been in trouble. A scan showed nothing wrong but the blood test wasn't right. After more tests I was told I have hepatitis caused by the treatment and tomorrow  I start on a course of steroids - 14 a day for starters,  and have to wait now before my treatment  can continue. I'm also at risk of developing  diabetes as well as putting on weight (after struggling  to lose three stone!!). On the upside I look and feel well, so I suppose  that's something. Keeping  positive. 

• Thank you for updating us missusb on how things have been for you recently. I am so sorry to hear you have hepatitis caused by the treatment and I hope the steroids will help. Fingers crossed you don't suffer any of the effects you mention like diabetes or weight gain.

You'll have to come back if you don't mind and let us know how it is all going for you. We are all pleased to hear that you do feel and look well though as you say this is something really positive to focus on.

Very best wishes,

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Since I last wrote about having to take steroids because of my liver infection caused by pembrolizumab,  things aren't going too well. The good news was the infection has gone but my liver is damaged. My doctor gave me a choice -  if I stop the treatment the cancer will grow, if I carry on my liver will be damaged beyond repair. Another doctor has recommended  I carry on and a close watch  will be kept. I was hoping another treatment would be available but nothing has been offered. I see my doctor again later this month so we'll  see. On the upside  I still feel  and look well.