Living with cancer

Family wanting to come and see us, I tell them "NO".  He can just about function with me, never mind company.  People are dissapointed to hear you say don't come but I have to be strong for hubby, he doesn't want to upset me, it doesn't matter I say, we need to concentrate on ourselves  for the time being.   But today we reach a compromise, sister in law is having a barbecue so I invite them to that, no pressure on us to have a four way natter, hubby can chat then nod off and lots of other people can take over!   I decide I'm a genius at this cancer thing,

•  

Hi Caz,

I'm glad that you have come to this compromise. The trouble with a cancer diagnosis is that it affects not just the patient, but all of the family as well.

I agree that hubby has to come first in all considerations, but family will naturally be worried too and will wantto see him for themselves. It sounds as if you have arranged this well, no hostessing skills needed on your part and hubby can nod off without interfering with conversation.

I hope that you both get some enjoyment out of your visit and that the weather is kind for your barbecue.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• Thanks Jolamine it's certainly a juggling act!  Turns out they are now not coming because the cats can't be left!  Honest to God I sometimes feel like screaming, that's why I am being selfish for once, no one understands what you are going through, sympathy is not enough, understanding is what we need.  I hope you are coping and pray that all works well for all of us on this forum.  Carol x

•  

Hi Carol,

I can understand why you are so annoyed. I'm not so sure that it's a case of not understanding but more one of not caring.

Isn't it strange how often just one person in a family ends up being the stool pigeon who undertakes responsibility for all family considerations, whilst others seem to think of nobody but themselves?

I am a great believer of "What goes around comes around and do unto others as you would want them to do unto you." 

You are quite right to start thinking of yourselves for a change.

Take care and try not to.let your families reactions upset you.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx