Living with bowel cancer as a mum to 6 kids

I was diagnosed with bowel cancer t2 in dec 2014 I had chemotherapy and radiotherapy from end jan till 4th march I've got to wear a colostomy bag for rest I my life as they can re construct my bowel I've lost loads of friend because I refused to lie to my 3 kids aged 12-6 yrs I told them from day 1 what is and will happen to their mum and my friends have all walked away saying my kids should never have been told I have bowel cancer x

• Hi Sue, welcome to the forum, but sorry for you having to be here because you have cancer. Some people think that kids should be protected from hearing bad news, and to some degree, I guess they should. I think the risk in your case of not telling them is pretty high because they see you not well and besides, they may overhear things being said about your illness. Probably the key here would be how much you tell them and can you give them some reassurance along with it. You don't mention their father and if he plays a role in thei lives. In any case, perhaps family members can be a support to you and your children at this difficult time. 

Come on to the forum and let us know how you are managing. You will find that people on here are very caring and supportive. Take care.

Hugs.

Lorraine

• Hi, sorry to hear that at probably your most lonely time you have been deserted by your friends. I think you have done the right thing in being open and honest with your family there is help out there for your children to understand your condition and  coping with their and your feelings. I to have bowel cancer (stage4) and also have a stoma which I have named Stan (and a lot of other things on bad days) Im 41 and have a 21 year old daughter and a 2 yr old grandson - I was honest right from the start of my diagnosis and wouldn't have it any other way!!! I hope your friends have a good think and start supporting you rather than judging you! Xx