Liver cancer

Hello.  My name is Tracey and I’m 53. I’m a special needs teacher and mum to four children. I adore my husband and our pets and I have always thought we are blessed. (Despite my oldest son having severe Crohn’s disease).

i was diagnosed with liver cancer at the weekend. I’ve had a CT scan since then and I am waiting for a PeT scan - to check whether the cancer is primary or secondary and to see what stage it is. 

The pain is excruciating and we can’t seem to get it under control yet which is my main worry. I’m expecting the staging to be 3 or 4 because if the size of the tumour (8cm round and located in the centre of the liver) and the pain. Have been told it’s not curable but is treatable?? 

I guess I feel like everyone in this situation - devastated for my kids and friends and incredulous that this even happening. 

• Hi Tracey, so sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis. It must feel surreal. The uncertainty regarding staging/treatment/prognosis is excruciating to manage isn’t it. Especially as you have children & family to think about. On top of that, you are managing the physical pain. 

I can’t relate entirely (I’m carer for my mother, who has pancreatic cancer) - but I want you to know that you are not alone and that others are going through tough times also - and are sending you strength & support. Just think about getting through the days hour-by-hour, until you have enough diagnostics to properly forward-plan.

Hoping for the best possible outcome for you xxxx Jen 

• so so sorry for you , i am also being tested at the moment   i wish you all the luck in the world stay strong. 

ed

• hi Jen,

thank you for the reply. I think being the carer is actually more difficult (having cared for my son who has Crohns) and during this experience I seem able to keep calm while everyone around me is falling to pieces. 

How is your mum coping and is she receiving treatment and if she is is she tolerating it well?

tracey x

• Hi Ed 

where are you in the process? 

My diagnosis was delayed by a GP forgetting to refer me following my ultrasound which had revealed a ‘lesion’.  Nine days after she had agreed to refer me - raid access - I called the surgery to say I had heard nothing and she agreed that the referral had not been made.  I understand those guys are under huge pressure but the pain I’m living with is extreme.  Then when the hospital received the referral they couldn’t fir the mri in for three weeks so my rapid access actually took over four weeks.  My consultant says my tumour has been growing away for two years so I guess a few weeks isn’t that big a drama! 

Let us know when you get your results and I wish you nicer news than I had x

• Hi Tracey,

so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I hope you have managed to get the pain under control. Can you tell me how your pain started? I keep getting a full ache on my upper right abdomen and it is worrying me. What other symptoms did you have? 

Jacki x

• Hi Tracy 

It is not easy when you head the news! It's surreal and then you go into family mode thinking! 
    I like you am 53 and a teacher in a special needs school. 
    I have renal cell carcinoma found this out in 2018, had kidney removed but then the bugged decided to latch onto my lungs and was confirmed early 2019. In the mix of everything I am still teaching up until Covid-19 
    You will have a mix of emotions I've been fighting the fight since 2018. 
    I have more up days then down days as I wake up each morning and welcome a new day a new beginning even when I received news recently that more lesions has appeared and it has grown I just could not let it get the better of me. 
    I cannot let this pull me down I will not let it defeat me. I need to be here for my beautiful daughter, my amazing family and great friends. 
    However we are all human we have emotions and we are individuals who deal with it our way and should never compare. My motto "I'm doing me". 
    Will be tricky regarding work as I have to continue to shield so interesting times! 
    Make sure when you have your good days it's focused on kids but also have "me time" and when pain is not so good don't feel guilty just deal with it best way you can!