Liver Cancer

I'm not really sure what to write on here but was hoping that it might provide me with some comfort.

On 1st April 2019, my Dad celebrated his birthday. On the 2nd he took himself to A&E as his tummy had ballooned overnight.

He was diagnosed with an abscess on his gallbladder and a drain was fitted to drain off the excess fluid. He was sent home with the drain in and 6 weeks later returned to have his gallbladder removed.

By the beginning of June, we were informed that cancer cells had been identified in his gallbladder ( which was now removed). They would have him back in hospital and scrape the area. This happened in August and 15% of his liver was removed at the same time. We were told that they biopsies came back clear for the liver. This was a huge relief and Dads consultant talked about giving him precautionary chemotherapy. A mild dose of tablets just in case there were any rogue cells.

This started at the beginning of October but by mid October Dad was jaundice and was back in hospital.

They diagnosed a blocked bile duct, a stent was fitted and Dads colouring returned to normal within a few days. Sadly they told us that the mass causing a blockage could have been cancer and if it was it would be incurable and Dad would recieve palliative chemotherapy...

Whilst in hospital, Dad developed pancreatitis and was extremely poorly. Three weeks later he was sent home, and consultant was 80% sure the blockage was scar tissue and not cancer. Dad was told to enjoy Christmas, go on holiday and return to hospital on 30th December for a routine CT scan.

Through December Dad deteriorated and was treated by his GP for an infection. Three lots of antibiotics followed but he was going downhill. Losing weight, eating less, his voice was weak, his breathing more of an effort.

On 23rd January, Dad was told that he had bile duct cancer and that there was spotting on his liver. The consultant thought it could just be the bad infection that had now taken over his body and gave him more antibiotics. She was keen to sort the infection before chemotherapy could even be considered.

Five days later, we took Dad into hospital where he stil remains. The infection took a while to get under control and then Dad started being sick. He couldnt keep anything down. Even sips of water were brought straight back up.

We waited about 4 days for a CT scan. This happened Monday. Results were quick and confirmed that in the 6 weeks since his last scan, the cancer has grown significantly and he has many lesions across his liver.

Consultant says he is too weak for chemotherapy and he needs a stent fitted at the top of duodenum to help him keep food down.

Every day my Dad is deteriorating rapidly and, although he has eaten small amounts, he is just existing in the chair.

We have to help him in and out of bed and he doesnt even have the energy to lift the fork to his mouth.

Today the consultant talked at length about an DNR and hoping to get Dad home for and of life care.

My family are devastated and so angry about how quickly this has progressed. Until 23rd January, we still werent sure that Dad had cancer. Now three weeks later we face the future and worry that every day will be his last.

Can anybody relate to this or had similar experiences? We just need a little bit of hope....

• Hello Ian3105, 

Thank you for sharing your story on the forum. This is so sad I am so sorry to hear that your dad is deteriorating rapidly at the moment. It must be so hard for you and your family to watch. I just wanted you to know that we are thinking of you during these difficult moments and we are all here to talk anytime you need to offload. 

I will now let others who have had similar experiences come and share their story with you. It helps to talk to others who understand what you are currently going through. 

Best wishes, 

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator 

• Hello Ian3105,

l am so very sorry to hear of your familys anguish over the condition of your Father.It is just terrible to see a loved one diminish so quickly in front of you when you are powerless to do anything to reverse of an aggressive cancer, particulary one that has spread.

l wish l could say something that would make it all go back to normal for you,but sadly l cannot. Having had my gall bladder removed along with 60% of my liver after it migrated as a secondary from bowel cancer, l can appreciate how devastating these events are for you.

The current position is not going to be one you would wish for, but l hope your Dads pain can be eased for him, and you with his family get to share some precious moments together.

My thoughts are very much with you,

David

• Hi Ian, 

I can't offer you hope I'm afraid but I can pass on my best wishes to you and your family and share my story. 
    I'm in a very dark place and feel so numb after yesterday's news from the hospital. Basically my dad aged 62 has liver cirrhosis and liver cancer. Back in November we went up to the liver transplant hospital in the midlands and was told that it's likely he can have a transplant or if the cancer is too big they can shrink it down with treatment then give him a transplant. There was hope.

After receiving another appointment for the second 2 day assessment there was even more hope. One step closer. 
    Within the past month dad has deteriorated and has had bands on his veins in his stomach due to bleeding, his stomach is up like a balloon due to fluid along with all the other symptoms, however we were still hopeful to have the treatment or a transplant. 
    We were called up to the hospital for an appointment yesterday which I thought was strange as the 2 day assessment should have been starting today.
    The consultant told us that there was nothing at all that could me done. No transplant, no treatment just a drain in his stomach to release the fluid and palliative care. The 2 cancer lumps exceed the requirements of 7cm for a transplant and the liver is in such a bad way they cannot shrink the tumors on the liver by giving treatment. 
    We are absolutely heartbroken, I cannot stop crying and don't know where to turn. 

• Hi Don

This disease is cruel and unforgiving. I am so so sorry to hear your devastating news. I think the hardest thing of all is having that little bit of hope. We've had it all the way along which makes it even more devastating when things don't go in line with what you had held on to.

My Dad came home last Tuesday 18th December to see out his last few days. There wasn't anything else our family could do to support him so bringing home felt like something we could be helpful with.

The pallative care team and district nurses have been amazing and we honestly could not have done it without them. Dad isn't eating but is drinking plenty. Although the main care is with the professionals, its exhausting! I'm off work to support my Mum and we take everyday as it comes. When we brought Dad home, they told us it was a matter of days. Dad is still going strong 8 days later. Keep strong and stay in touch x

• Hi Ian, 

yes you are right we were given that hope and was told he would get better and now it's all come crashing down on us. I was hoping I would wake up this morning from a bad nightmare. My heart is absolutely breaking. 

I have no words for you as I don't know how to deal with this myself yet. My heart goes out to you and your mum and yes please stay in touch. 

• I've moved back home to support Mum. It's the least I can do. I find myself making all the phone calls, talking to the friends and relatives because Mum and brother are still digesting it all 

• I live next door to my parents so it makes it much easier. My mam is a strong person, I am or was before the grief hit me but I'm sure I will bounce back. Our dads wouldn't want us to fall to pieces, I Know mine wouldn't anyway. 

What a wonderful thing to do, move back in with your parents to give constant help and support. Just make sure you are looking after yourself or let someone make sure you are ok! 
    keep your strength up and keep doing what you are doing and you need to be proud of yourself for all you are doing for them. They are lucky to have your help and support. :)