Life is Cruel. 32!!

My wife has been diagnosed with a grade iv glioblastoma mulitforme and has been told she will die within 2 years. This is the 2nd tumour she hasn’t had, but this time, only treatment will prolong her life and not save it.  Due to her age and fitness, they hope she will survive to nearer the 2 years than the original 12-14 months as she was told by her neurosurgeon. We have come to terms with the situation and are doing everything we can to raise Money for the brain tumour charity, donating hair to a charity called kids with cancer and were hoping to donate her organs. Something which, sadly, we will not be able to do. The problem I have with it is that she’s only 32 and we have 3 children, who are 9, 7 and 6. Youngest one is being tested for autism. We have told the children and they seem upset but at the age where they do not fully understand the situation. One thing is, how do I know my children are fully aware of what’s happening and how do I explain that in later months, they will not be able to see mummy? (As I don’t want them seeing her when she’s needing care. I don’t think it’s the right place for a child). As I know what to expect and what she will Be like and I don’t want to see her like that. My wife. I have a major problem and I don’t know what I could do? I can’t do anything that she does. I try to help but can never get used to doing laundry (folding), styling hair, wrap presents, sort out taxes etc. I can drive and clean and cook but that’s it. I feel guilty for having my children For having to be raised by a father (me) who isn’t very good at anything. People said, with practice it’ll come, but I can’t do it. I’ve been practicing. I just can’t do it. I feel alone. And I don’t know what to do. I wish it was me that were diagnosed and my wife could lead a healthy life. I know she will die, due to where the tumour is, but I feel guilty for not being able to do anything and for having to raise 3 children on my own. Am I panicking too early. 

• Hi,

im so sorry to hear of your situation. Your wife sounds like a remarkable lady.

I am 31 & currently in the middle of being diagnosed with nasopharyngeal cancer, i am awaiting biopsy of abnormal cells & I am having bone pain and neurological symptoms which is stage IV which has an extremely poor prognosis. All I think about are my 2 kids (2 and 5) growing up without me. My husband will be taking on such a massive responsibility Nd I worry enormously about him coping. But I know that he will find the strength just like you. If he didn’t have the kids to keep him going I think he’d find things a lot harder but they have their routines and they need to keep things as normal as possible. I don’t have any advice for you as such but you seem like a lovely person and I’m sure that no matter what happens you will be an amazing dad and be strong for your wife and your kids. My diagnosis is going to knock my husband for 6 as he is in complete denial that this is happening to us. 

Becky 

• HI

First I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through.   I'm currently waiting for a diagnosis and I've spent much time thinking about what would happen to my four young children if they were left to be raised by my husand alone.    I'm not going to lie - it will be hard, but remember that you love them.   You're all going to be sad and grieving and it will seem impossible at first but with time it will get easier.   It's likely that you're overwhelmed and sad and are thus being very down on yourself.  I'm sure you're capable of far more than you think you are.    I strongly recommend you find good supports - family and friends that can help and find a good support group for yourself beacuse you're going to need to talk to people.    You can learn to style hair from videos on youtube - I learned to french braid my daughters hair that way.    Don't give up on yourself - like I said you're capable of far more than you think you are.