Life insurance

In 2005 I had a melanoma removed, I would like to set up life insurance, does anyone recommend a company I can sign up with please

• Hi,

I can't recommend any companies as I'm fortunate enough to have my life cover through my last employer's scheme (I'm a retired Police Officer & I continued in the scheme when I retired). However I know a few melanoma patients who have looked for life cover & this is what I've learned -

Who will offer you life insurance will depend on a few factors. Firstly, Were you diagnosed Stage 1 or 2 in 2005 and have you had any recurrences since then and/or are still having check ups with a consultant? If you were early stage, had no further problems and are no longer under medical care, you should be able to hunt around with all the major providers (use a broker and do it by phone, not on internet comparison sites as they don't ask the questions in depth to properly assess & they mainly reject cover). Most insurance companies will cover after a 2 - 5 year discharge from medical care for early stage, 10 years for Stage 3 and never for Stage 4.

Some insurance companies will insure you but exclude death related to melanoma - it would depend if you want to risk it (personally I wouldn't as it can recur at any time - it recurred & went to Stage 3 with me 13 years post diagnosis). 

If you are only wanting it to cover funeral costs, a funeral plan is the best way as it's not dependant on past illness. If you are a member of Unison, a friend and fellow melanoma patient took life insurance out with them a few years post early stage melanoma diagnosis.

I hope this helps,

Angie