Life after cancer

Hi people I had cancer 4years ago and still think about it every day. And worry it will come back any tips on trying to live life with no fear if it's even possible???

•  

Hi Misskelz,

This is a difficult one. I never realised how terrified I was of dying until I had my first cancer diagnosis six years ago. A year later I had a second primary in the same breast.

I attended pain management, mindfulness and exercise classes which have helped in some small measure.

I have since moved on and have come to terms with my diagnosis, but there is always the fear that it will return. I try to keep myself interested in other things to take my mind off my cancer, but this is not always possible.

I try to mix with other people because I have always been interested in people. No matter how sorry I feel for myself I find that there are always others who are worse off than I am. Helping them out in any small way takes my mind off my own problems for a while.

If anyone can suggest other ways to put these fears to the back of my mind, I would be pleased to hear what their suggestions are.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in.2015. I was lucky to have a total mastectomy on both breast and a recostruction from.my abdominal muscles.  Since then.there is no cancer in my system.and l have been discharged from.my Oncology team. I am.just in.a Research Group that  will.check my blood every 6 months.  I have stopped worrying about Cancer.  I.have kept myself very busy with charitable and political advocacy.  I am.also busy transforming lives via face book engagement with the younger generation inspiring them. Every one is different l am always optimistic  in whatever situation l found my self turning my Lemons into Lemonade.  Good luck

• Hi been in remission for 3 years but still wake up in a panic during the night every ache & pain I get convinces me it's coming back

Trying to keep busy and positive but so hard. 

•  

Hi Esther,

You have inspired me today with turning your “lemons into lemonade.” I admire all that you are doing. I have a lot of co-morbidities which mean that I am unable to get around without the aid of a mobility scooter or walker. I also get exhausted at times and there’s no knowing when this will hit. This prohibits me from committing to a regular pastime such as charity work, much and all as I would love to be able to do it.

I took up photography classes a few years ago and have found that I can do this on my better days, without totally draining myself of all my energy, but I do still have my darker moments.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

•  

Hi Linda,

I agree that it is difficult to stay positive all the time no matter how hard we try. I have a lot of aches and pans all the time, but when these change or worsen, like you, I immediately fear the worst - it's like having the sword of Damacles hanging over us all the time.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• Hi Jolamine

So glad I joined this site hearing from other people going through the same fears as myself day after day makes me realise I am not alone. Even though I have really good support from family I can't explain to anyone the feelings and fear I have. 

•  

Hi Linda,

Like you, my fears seem to get worse during the night. I have a fantastic family but I don't like worrying them with my fears. Besides, I have always been a very matter of fact person and my reaction to my diagnosis and my terror of developing secondary cancer surprise even me. This is so unlike me that I don't think that my family can understand how I feel.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• Hi jolamine

I have been in remission for 3 years from leukemia but the fears of it returning don't seem to be fading despite reassurance from the doctor. I am awake again and like most nights I am lying here  trying not to disturb my husband but sleep won't come and I don't want to start taking sleeping tablets so will probably be awake for a few hours more 

Linda x

•  

Hi Linda,

I don't usually go to bed until around this time. There is no point in going to bed earlier as I only disturb my hubby, while I toss and turn in bed trying to spread my body weight on various parts of my body to reduce pain in the different areas.

Like you I don't want to take any more tablets, but it is at this time of morning that I have to face my biggest hurdles.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• Morning jolamine

Managed to get a few hours sleep after my last message. Getting ready for work now and putting on my happy face for the world lol. 

Hope you have a good day. 

Linda x