Life after Breast cancer

hi new to the forum , just finding it difficult a year on being diagnosed with grade 3 Breast cancer at the age of 41 , not really talked about it much , but get really scared it coming back , be nice to chat to someone going through the same x

• Hi Poppy, I was diagnosed in February with bilateral breast cancers and, despite having had all the relevant treatments, I also feel the same way. Family and friends are convinced all is now well and we should be getting on with life again but this worry is a natural and inevitable part of the process and doesn't make it any easier does it? For some reason I am unable to open the link lovely Max sent to you but I happened to speak to my breast care nurse yesterday and she and a colleague are setting up small, local groups in my area for women, titled Life after Treatment, as they have recognised the need to offer support once all the physical stuff has been completed. This is not something I ever thought I would need or want but I have now finally realised that a helping hand from professionals and chatting to others who have been through the process may be the way to go. I have taken great comfort from the folk on here and these meetings would be an added bonus. I wonder if you have similar groups in your area. I know Macmillan do this kind of thing too so perhaps it would be worth looking into? Take care and do let us know how you get on.  Sue xx

• Hi sue , thanks , I will get In touch with Breast care team , hopefully there may be something near to me , as I don't drive , like you family and friends are supportive , and say everything we be fine , but it's there everyday , it's been over a year on now , everyone says how good I look and well , but keep smiling , thanks again , I'll let you know what they say , thanks , oh that my user name lol , my names Ali xxx

• Hi thanks for the link , started reading last night , read some more today , thanks a lot x

• I was 57 when I was diagnosed with Lobular breast cancer 2 1/2 years ago.  I think during treatment you are so busy with appointments and coping with the side affects, that when it has finished you have time to think more clearly?  I went to the Moving On sessions at my local hospital, these helped grately.  I think I grieved for the person I was before diagnosis, because I think it has changed me. But saying all this, I now feel quite well, and the old saying, time is a great healer, is true. We have a lot to adjust to, the hair loss, feeling tired, and other physical changes, it is no wonder it takes us quite a long time to come to terms with.

I do at times feel scared it will come back, but these times are fewer now, as I am sure they will be for you. I think, as others have said, it is good to talk.  Unfortunately I have a few friends who have been through the same, and say the same as you and me.  Coming to terms with this illness is difficult, but you will over time.

Keep posting, this site is a great help.

Diane xxx

•  

Hi Ali and Su .......  Sorry I didnt have much time yesterday so just popped the link on and that was it. Su if you google Dr Peter Harvey - when the treatment finishes then what?  the site will come up.  Dr Harvey gave a talk about this subject at a seminar and it shows his presentation papers.  I was given it back in 2007 and found it a real help with my feelings at the time and hope you do too.

Worrying about recurrence is truly a natural part of things following a diagnosis, although it doesnt really help to know that.  It is frustrating that everyone around us keeps telling us to move on but inevitable I guess.  I think a support group is a great idea if there is one in your area.

On a practical level, as well as having your six-monthly/yearly checks, please ask your GP to arrange a 3monthly CA15-3  Breast Cancer cancer count blood test.  This will detect secondaries elsewhere in the body.

Wishing you both all the very best. x

• Thanks Max and Diane, you're stars as always.

Good advice about the blood tests, I haven't had one done since a pre-med in November for a shoulder op which was three months before my cancer diagnosis! I will try to google Dr Harvey, although I think the probem is more to do with my pesky laptop which, like me, only works efficiently when there is a z in the month!!

Take care both  Sue xx