Letrozole

Hi. I have recently had a mastectomy as was diagnosed with breast cancer. The operation was successful and now i am on letrozole. I need some advice as my mood swings and hot flushes as horrendous. Does any one have any experience of this and suggestions to eleviate? When i was menopausal i found black kohosh helped but dont know if it is compatible with this medication. Thanks in advance for your help. Ann

• Sorry to hear that.  I was on it for about 4 weeks prior to starting chemo and will be going back onto it afterwards.  I didn't feel great for a couple of weeks (mainly due to constipation and mouth sores), but the flushes I had weren't nearly as bad as the ones I had during the menopause, which were really bad.  Not sure about mood swings, because I was worrying about the impending chemo and it might have been that.  If it's any help, my consultant said that the side effects are normally worse at the beginning and they get better.  I was starting to feel fine when I stopped it, so I'm inclined to believe her.  I hope that happens for you.

• Thank you. I hope all goes well with your chemo. I was lucky i guess as my treatment finished (apart from letrozole) after surgery. I have been taking it for 1 and half months now and no let up so far. Hopefully things will calm down.

• Thank you.  Keep positive.  You'll get there