Kidney removal

Hi am new to chat ....has anyone else had a kidney removal....I .feel alone      

• Hello pinkypie & welcome

sorry that u are going to have surgery. Have you got a date?

A friends father had to have a kidney removed & healed amazingly quickly. 

I have a mass in my right kidney which they are waiting to see if it has grown. I shall be having scans in january. If it's grown it might mean surgery

Its awful to feel alone with this horrific disease that is why  joined.

take care

• Hi Pinkypie, I had a 4cm cancerous growth in my left kidney and the kidney was removed by open surgery exactly 10 years ago. The adrenal gland was not removed. This was a good decision, because 4 years later cancer kidney cancer appeared in my right adrenal gland and this was removed by key hole surgery. I therefore now rely completely on my left adrenal gland. My anatomy must look a little strange. A kidney on the right side, but no adrenal gland, no kidney on the left, but an adrenal gland! I had my kidney out on a Monday and went home on the Saturday. The pain was well controlled but I was very uncomfortable. However, you have to remember that I had open surgery but you may well have key hole surgery. Have the doctors told you which option they are likely to opt for? If you have key hole surgery, I would imagine you would experience a great deal less pain and discomfort that I did. At the time of surgery, the cancer was contained within the kidney but, over the years, as expected, it has spread to other parts of the body but is controlled by drugs. Constant monitoring is really important. Following the surgery in Dec 06 I returned to work as a chef in Feb07. Due to ongoing treatment, which has intensified, but is manageable by being proactive rather than reactive, I had to retire from work last December at the age of 60. I remain fully active, drive, holiday, and keep very busy. Have off days, when on chemo, but overall I am very fortunate and remain well. There is much more I could tell you and a I am more than happy to share this with you - mainly positive!! However, I hope the above will give you some idea of what you might encounter.
  • Thank you for responding to me ....this is one journey you need someone there for you.who has been through the same ....i have had my left kidney + adrenal gland +and a 6lb cancerous tumour and surrounding glans removed 5 weeks ago ......i had my check up with surgeon today for results . ..he said that i have a 1 in 4 chance the cancer will return within 2 years .....my whole body aches and stomache is numb ..i have a 15 inch scar from the open radical surgery. Today i am feeling really low when i should be shouting from the roof tops ..has the last 15 months of hell now caught up with me? ...
  • Hi again,

From your first posting I did not realise that you had already had your left idney removed. An operation of that size will certainly give you a great deal of discomfort and pain for a good while but it should subside fairly soon. Just keep taking pain killers. If you can go out for a very short walk, that will help loosen the area up. The numbness does lessen but I can still feel areas of numbness caused by the severing of nerves during the op. This is very mild and does not cause me any problem whatsoever.  My scar is also about 15 inches long and I had staples inserted to start with. My kidney cancer returned after 3 years but due to excellent ongoing, and very regular monitoring, this was caught at a very early stage, and after two lung operations and the removal of part of a rib, I was up and running again. No chemo needed after the original op or after lung surgery. I cannot over emphasise the importance of being monitored very regularly. This is the key to success.  Catch the *** early! After more operations, and ongoing oral chemo, I am well controlled even though the cancer is now stage 4. I am not interested in prognosis. Today is day of celebration for you. The news could have been a great deal worse. It sounds positive to me. Go and do something you enjoy, may be a meal out, or a cinema trip. Live for the moment and not for the future. Put the C to one side for now, it all looks positive at the moment so celebrate that. I have had cancer for almost 20 years. It started with bladder cancer in 2000! Do keep in touch.

David

• Hi Pinkypie

have sent you a response but put it in newly diagnosed-clearly rubbish at this!

However we are rowing alongside you boat hunny ! Have a read it may help, do hope so

Zelda

• Hi,

Have seen your reply to Pinkypie in the "newly diagnosed" forum and was wondering  where your husband is now and how you are coping. Just thought that you might be interested in my reply to Pinkypie in the "introduce yourself" section of the forum.  You may have already read it. Let me know if I can share any of my experiences with you. I am now living a good life 10 years after having my kidney removed.  I have secondaries and am stage 4, but well controlled with oral chemo.

David

• Hi Pinkypie

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis but welcome to the forlum, i had my left kidney and adrenal gland removed last October by keyhole. I was in hospital about 27 hrs, decided I'd rather be at home and let my super dooper hubby look after me. I'm 62 and was a little shocked that it took me a good 3 months to get back on my feet, very frustrating! I managed to go on our annual hols for a month to Lanzarote last January. Anyway, I thought you might like to hear my good news to spur you on. I have just had my first year scan and hooray! Good news, no recurrence . My tumour was a 7mm, Pt3a, grade 4 intermediate with a 20% risk of recurrence. So far so good! Lanzarote here I come again! Two months this year hehe! 

Hope all goes well for you. Keep in touch.

Jeanne x

• Hi David

good to read of your progress so many years on and how well you are doing.

How long was it before your secondaries reared their head? Sounds as though you are managing it well though.

good for you Love to hear positive stories.

Jeanne

• Hi Jeanne,

Secondaries appeared in the lungs three years after the kidney was removed. They were tiny and caught very early. This was down to the excellent monitoring I was receiving. A maximum gap of 3 months or a minimum of two weeks between reviews.

Happy days, for now.

David

• Hi David, glad you are doing well. I've only just had first scan after 12 months from surgery and my consultant has said I will have another at 3 yrs and one at five years. That's it !!