Kidney cancer

I saw my consultant on Monday who is 90% sure the mass on my left kidney is cancer.

My operation for the removal of my left kidney is scheduled for 12th September and I was really quite relieved about finding out. I’ve read information about diagnosis, etc. and a lot of it talks about stages & grades of your cancer but this was never mentioned - does this only happen once the mass has been removed and examined?

I’m starting to worry about if it’s spread - I know these are things out of my control but I look at my children and my heart aches that they may grow up without me.

• Sorry you’re here and going through this. 

I know how you feel and how messed up it all is. I’m like you, mid tests and waiting for more results, I’ve 2 kids aged 9 and 15, they’re looking in to my abdomen tomorrow to see if it’s spread externally (it’s in my stomach). I haven’t had a grade yet, my mother in law had bowel cancer and wasn’t graded until after surgery once they’d removed all the tumou and biopsied the lymph nodes they’d removed. 

I think I may be graded tomorrow unless they take biopsies and then I’ll have to wait a few weeks. With stomach cancer you get chemo first and then surgery. 

I’m told the waiting is the worst part...I sincerely hope so!

take care xxx

• Thanks mikeswife

The consultant just rang me to now say he’s requested I go for an MRI as the vein that drains my kidney is slightly enlarged on my CT scan and he wants a clearer picture before he operates!

that should make me more at ease as they’re picking up on these things but it’s concerning me even more!

I’m trying to focus on the positives but when you’ve young children it’s certainly hard isn’t it?

Good luck for tomorrow and sending positive thoughts you’re way xx 

• Hi I was diagnosed with kidney cancer last October age 44 ! My tumour was large at just over 9 cm ! If I can help in any way please ask

• Thanks keira123.

ive had my radical nepherectomy now and am recovery very well. My head is in a better place as I’ve cone to terms with I can’t control certain things so no point in winding myself up - I suppose it’s human nature as we want to control things that happen too us.

i get my pathology results next week so will deal with whatever comes from that.

hope your recovery/treatment is progressing well x

• Hi Sazwats,

How did the surgery go?

Was the kidney removed via keyhole or open surgery?

How was the pain afterwards?

I am going to have radical nepherectomy via keyhole on the 16th of October.

Thanks,

Dan

• Hi dan

The surgery went well - my mass was around 10cm so consultant was unsure if he could do keyhole but he managed to do it that way - thank goodness! 4 cuts with the biggest around 20cm - which was where the kidney was removed through.

it was quite sore and painful for the first 4 days but was allowed home on Day 4 and it’s got easier as each day goes by.

I had to stop taking the morphine in the hospital as it made me feel queasy but managed well enough with the other pain relief.

im sure you’ll cope really well - keep your thoughts positive and I’ll be thinking of you on the 16th!

let us know how you get on

sara x

• Thanks a lot Sara!

I will update you after the surgery :)

All the best,

Dan

• Hi I'm wondering if you can help me with any advise, told on Friday I have a mass on left kidney so either partial or whole depending on what surgeons think as I've been referred to another hospital. Just very frightened, very stressed and massive anxiety so feel as though I'm walking round in a fog and can't think straight.

Thank you 

Shelly

• Hi Dan77 have you had your surgery as I've just been told on fri I have a mass on kidney so whole or partial removal depending what surgeon thinks. Frightened and just want some advise. Thank you shelly
  • Hi Shelly, 

I'm sorry to hear about your kidney issue and the op.

Have you had a biopsy yet? 

I have just written down my experience in the introductory forum. 

I hope this will help you. 

If you have any questions just let me know. 

Best wishes / regards, 

Dan